1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foxit Installation Questions

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Allene, May 2, 2012.

1. Allene

Allene Registered User

Foxit sometimes works as advertised, and sometimes it doesn't. It doesn't automatically open all pdfs.

When I install it, I opt out of the Ask garbage. Then a bit later, I am presented with three options to install the following:
    PDF Viewer Files (grayed out)
    Addin for Firefox, etc. (box is checked; I uncheck it)
    Shell Extensions (box is checked; I uncheck it)
    It's the PDF Viewer Files I want, not the other stuff.

I complete the installation. Then I get the spotty service. What am I doing wrong? I looked at the technical FAQs, etc. Maybe I missed something.
  2. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Never used Foxit. I have Adobe reader installed, and use PrimoPDF to print PDFs.
  3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

I had Adobe Reader for many years, but got rid of it some months ago while still on Firefox. Adobe had become very slow.
  5. Allene

Allene Registered User

That is where I've been getting it. I get FoxReader514.0104_enu_Setup.exe and run it . I get this screen early on with two checked boxes next to all that Ask junk. I uncheck them despite the following down below the boxes: "By installing this application and associated updater, you agree to the End User License Agreement and Privacy Policy. You can remove this application easily at anytime. I click on Next. It tells me where it is going to be installed. Then at the next screen I get three items with checked boxes, but the first one for PDF Viewer Files is grayed out, and the other two are as mentioned earlier. I uncheck those two items. I end up with a program with an icon (rainbow), but it doesn't behave in a consistent manner.

I'm tired of these problems. Maybe there's something in my system that interferes with it. I have some Adobe products, but as far as I know, Adobe Reader isn't one of them. It is certainly not attempting to open any of my PDF files.

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

I found something interesting. Someone was talking about not being able to uninstall Foxit completely. He had done what I did and gone to the Control Panel and then into Programs and uninstalled it. But it still showed up in the folder it was installed in and in Appdata\Roaming. So I went and checked--not in Program Files, but still in Appdata\Roaming. Hence the problem with the grayed-out choice I mentioned earlier. I deleted it.

I'm getting rid of the *&^% thing! It has had conflicts with security programs, too, although Microsoft Security Essentials isn't one of them, or isn't listed as one of them so far. I just don't feel like struggling with any more computer-related issues right now.

It TOTALLY annoys me when any of these companies insist on loading those stupid toolbars. I'm sick of dealing with all that junk. If these companies had their way, my computer would end up looking like "Where's Waldo." They're busy doing that with my TWC weather site. It has become almost unrecognizable now. I actually have to look for the weather report on the page now. Why on earth do these people feel compelled to add every bell and whistle in existence and ruin the product in the process?
  7. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

If you're interested in switching back to Adobe Reader, grab version 9.5.x from here. i think you'll be pleased with the speed.
  8. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks for the tip. I had already downloaded Adobe X 10.0. I hope that's a good one. It seems to work better than the one I had before I went over to Foxit.
  9. Allene

Allene Registered User

It still wanted to give me a toolbar--Google this time. RATS! These companies are worse than used-car dealers.
  10. Arc

Arc Full Member

Your Canon multipurpose printer should have in its fully loaded software setup the ability to print PDF files. Like Bob says use the Adobe reader. Then simply hit the print button on your screen.
  11. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

No no no no no no no. NEVER go back to a previous version as updates are usually security updates to patch security issues.
  12. Allene

Allene Registered User

Arc, you were quoting Bob. I don't have any problems printing PDFs. I used Adobe Reader (and later Foxit) to OPEN them. I use my printer to print anything I want printed that's on my computer screen.

13. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Version 9.5.x still provides regular security updates.