1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FOSTA and CLOUD, Congressional idiocy at it's worst

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Mar 23, 2018.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

It's been a busy week for the morons on Capitol Hill. First up is FOSTA. An absolutely horrid piece of legislation that does absolutely nothing to protect those who they say it's designed to protect. To put it bluntly, FOSTA effectively guts a portion of Section 230, which affords protections to websites. From the EFF:

And...

Worried yet? Let's skip over to the CLOUD Act. It's even worse in that it allows foreign law enforcement to completely sidestep the 4th Amendment. Again, from the EFF:

It's doubtful most of those who walk the halls of Congress are even aware of the CLOUD Act as it was attached as a rider to the spending bill at the last minute.

Since the CLOUD Act basically violates the tenants of the 4th Amendment, every single Congresscritter who signed this piece of filth into law should be prosecuted for perjury as they have violated their oath of office.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2018
  2. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Susan Addams likes this.
  4. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

There is a good reason that my own server is not located on US soil. My registrar is also not located on US soil. In effect, the only part of my organization located on US soil is me.

5. Biker

This may not protect you. It's already known that the various intelligence agencies contract out with each other to spy on each other's citizens and then share the data. FVEY countries definitely do this, but there are other countries that are loosely aligned with the FVEY alliance.

6. Susan Addams

I also use a VPN (also not located in US) to encrypt my operations with my server, which is also protected by a public-private shared key scheme.

Actually there is nothing on my server that would interest the US government except to break in just to show me they could do it.

Actually I have already done everything I can. With everything they have I wish they'd warn me when I miss my period so that I could schedule an abortion.

That's my problem about the US government. There is so much unwarranted snooping on honest US citizens who are doing nothing wrong. We should have some constitutional amendment so they won't do that. You know we could amend the Constitution to prohibit unreasonable searches and seizures and set out requirements for search warrants based on probable cause as determined by a neutral judge or magistrate. ... Instead of the system we have now where our phones and emails and Internet connections are tapped and stored for data mining.

My international friends laugh at how bad our government really is, with all its snooping.

7. Biker

There already IS an amendment that prohibits unreasonable search and seizure. It's the 4th Amendment. Yet Congress just passed a bill that allows law enforcement to skirt 4th Amendment protections. It's why I stated in the original post that every single moron that voted for the passage of the CLOUD Act should be prosecuted for perjury. They violated their oath of office.

8. Susan Addams

Tom, in case you didn't notice, I quoted the 4th Amendment. My irony went over your head.