1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Slow... We Know

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

If you tried it on the 23rd and it bombed, don't bother trying again. I turned it off before that.

2. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

She definitely bombed. But I will try it from home though....not going to do it here at the office.

3. Biker

I just fired up the Windows side of the notebook and used Firefox to access the site. Not seeing any delays.

4. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Disabling all add-ons and extensions did improve the load times in FF, but still seeing a noticeable lag or hesitation in the page load compared to other sites.

Chrome is working so far. I'm at home now. I'll check the office tomorrow. Speed definitely improved using Chrome, but still seeing lags in the load times compared to other sites.

Must just be me. I'd say consider this a dead issue. :huh:

5. Biker

Again, the query count with the new software is quite a bit higher than the older version so things will be a tad "slower" than the old forum. However, response wise, I'm really not seeing any delays. Not like you were claiming.

6. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Unfortunately, it's not a claim. It's my actual observations and experience.

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Jim, I don't see the slowness, bro. There was a hiccup during the day but that was like for 1 min.

8. Biker

Didn't mean to imply it wasn't happening for you.

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm on IE, and the forum is working okay for me (except for that weird lag in typing at times), but I'm not saying Jimeez is imagining things either. Frankly, I don't know why it is working okay for me because my ISP appears to have spread itself too thin. It blames Verizon and sends them up here. By the time they get here, they're livid and telling us it's the ISP's fault, and so it goes.

10. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Chrome is not giving me the problems it once was. I've had jam ups only two or three times in the past month.

11. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Yep, Chrome appears to be working so far today from here at the office too. I still see delays in page load times that I don't see from other sites. But Chrome is maneuvering through GA much faster than did FF...even with add-ons and extensions disabled.

And maybe I should clarify what I mean by "page load time". That is probably the incorrect term. It's more like the initial connection is delayed. Once the connection is made, the page loads quite nicely. I am seeing a delay between the time I click on a link in the site (or my bookmark to the site) and the time the connection is made and the page begins to load. Or at least that's my perception of what's going on.

12. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Chrome is much faster for me now on GA than Firefox.

13. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I've been seeing the same thing as of late. When clicking on one of the threads from the "what's new" results there is a large lag before the thread opens. I've noticed it with FF on both Windows 7 and OSX. Haven't tried other browsers but don't see the same problem on any other site.

14. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Problem I'm having last 2-3 days is that when I hit new posts, only a few show up, and I have to manually check each forum now to get the rest. An example is this morning when I checked in for the first time today, new posts showed 4 updated posts, but but there were about 12 of them. I'm on the west coast and I know you easterners are more blabbly than that, throw in the down unders and I should have seen a lot more threads in the new posts list.

Forgive me if anyone replies to one of my babbling posts and I don't get back right away, it seems I'm missing replies.

Opera 10.53 beta

15. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

The past few days I've only been able to load some but not all of the email notifications of new posts. For example with the iPad thread I've not been able to open new posts from the email alerts can can through the Forum / New posts.

16. Allene

Allene Registered User

Shouldn't I be having the same problem as you, Ditch? ;)

17. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

General reply to the thread and to the topic.

The server is humming along, we have the server ONLY to ourselves, no Dmitry's sites to compete for resources.

However, with the upgrade to VB's latest software, it's apparent that it's just horrendous. I mean, you folks don't even see the half of it. What the new owners have done to this software is just unexcusable and the customers shouldn't be paying for junk.

Having said that, we are in the process of evaluating a different software/company.

Stay tuned.

18. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

You mean your not? :)

19. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Thanks for the update Leon.

20. Allene

Allene Registered User

Believe it or not! Will wonders never cease? You must have changed something in your system! ;)