1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Forum Construction, Brick By Brick.

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Nov 21, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

When this forum started, on the current ISP and software, it was plain vanilla. When it started growing, I started adding themes, styles, and graphics to make it more appealing.

Everything you see here has never been "stripped" from another web site but bought with cash. Reason for me stating this is that many people want the original author to be compensated for their hard work. I am one of the people who like to donate and pay for a good product.

Problem I have, however, is that themes and styles are not the entire forum and when I have a good idea, I need to get under the engine and do my own tweaking.

The Thumbs Up Store was such an idea and I think it's working out quite well under CSS Style. I've yet to implement Apple Style (the style of Graphics/Avatar forum) and Greyscale--the forum's default style.

I was able to fix CSS style rate button... but it took almost an hour where I had to pain pixel by pixel.

Here's my question, finally.

I have the following button sets for Greyscale:

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

The Rate button is not from this style and looks totally out of place with the rest: [​IMG]

How can I quickly edit or apply the same style to the rate button with either Photoshop or Macromedia's Fireworks MX?

2. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Might take me fifteen minutes to an hour, but I'll see if I can cook one up for you. :)

3. ethics

That would be great and I thank you, but I also want to learn... :)

What will you use, will you do the pixel by pixel bit? School me. :)

4. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Perhaps something like this??? They can be "dressed up"... :)

BDD... :{)

5. ethics

Those are actually better than the ones I have. How did you do that?

6. wafen

wafen Member

Sure you don't want this one.:)

7. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

PaintShop Pro 7... Drew the outline... Filled with partial transparency... Did an inner bevel... Selected text... VOILA!! :)

BDD... :{)

8. ethics

Re: Re: Forum Construction, Brick By Brick.

OMG!!!

Either you guys are awesome, or I am a total dweeb, or a combination of both.

How did YOU do that?

I will apply this right away!

9. ethics

Man! You people are amazing! Thank you so much, all of you!

10. wafen

wafen Member

Re: Re: Re: Forum Construction, Brick By Brick.

Just a little pixel by pixel work that you get good at doing avatars.:)

11. Pyrion

Here you go. I had to delete the original that I posted because it was off-center, vertically, by one pixel. :)

12. ethics

MUCH better, Phyre, thanks a lot.

Wafen, so you DO that with pix by pix. Still, that's some amazing work. I can't tell a difference at all.

13. Pyrion

As for how I did it, a combination of per-pixel editing (for the T, mainly), pixel counting (to center it), and copying of the existing letters and arrows from the other images to fit the style. :)

14. ethics

Man, and you did it so fast?

That's a two to three hours for me.

15. Pyrion

Nah. Most of it was copying from the other images. The background gradient involved selecting the stuff untouched by the text (sides by the arrows) and copypasting them to fill. The stuff that was only done per-pixel was the "T". The rest of it was copied from the other provided images.

Oh, I did do "flatten image" a lot with the copypasting of the background gradient. Sped up the process when I could copypaste a huge slab as opposed to a single-pixel-width vertical gradient. :)

16. ethics

I need to learn how to do this. Seems like fun and relaxing too. Sort of like gardening. ;)

17. wafen

wafen Member

Just fooling around.

18. ethics

Awesome! Will implement that in to the Apple style like I have on Greyscale. :)

Thank you.

19. wafen

wafen Member

Ok,

Just be careful with it, it is still wet.:)

20. wafen

wafen Member

I have to get another hobby. :)