1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Format Complete

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by mrRT, Dec 14, 2002.

1. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Well another adventure complete..After checking this machine over and over, I just couldn't find the root of the problems. So I started backing up the data...OMG I must have burned 30 roms full....and deleting the programs one at a time.

When I got about half way through I figured oh what the hell...why not run the AV again...It runs and NOTHING wrong...oh well let me check to see when the last definition update was done....

OMG.....it was done 3 weeks ago..WHAT!!! I have it scheduled to run update and scan every nite (figured better to be safe with this thing on 24/7)..

AHHHHHHHHHHH...now I'm starting to see the picture. The kids were here a few weeks back and probably hit something on accident and turned off that task.

So I run the update and the scan...
    I CANT BELIEVE THERE ARE 2 trojans (non-ribbed variety) resident on this machine. :eek: I run the disinfect and cleanse...and cant get rid of those little nasties..And looks like one is memory resident..UGGGGGGGGGG

anyway format complete..and in the process figured I'd load XP Pro and give it a spin...So now I have to finish loading up all my programs and we should be rockin..

Now the lesson learned is this...

Anit-Virus program running is a MUST!!

Up to date definitions are manditory!!!

(ya think I would have thought of that as I do this stuff for a livin now...DUH>>>>heheheheheh)
    :nut:

2. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Look at it this way, it forced you to backup everything. From one "computer expert" to another, <i>how long has it been?<i>
    <small>I know that sounds very personal but hell it's all between friends right?

3. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

hehehehehhe

tooo damn long..

But hey Ken..I look at it this way. I went a full year with an OS without reloading, fixing, or re-format....and thats a new record for me....
    :angel:

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Glad to hear you lost no data. Sorry about the time lost.

5. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

The three most important rules of computing:

1. Back up
    2. Back up
    3. Back up

Running an anti-virus, firewall and spyware scanner follow after that. Then comes Check hardware and driver compatibility BEFORE installing. I learned that one the hard way. Three weeks before finals for paramedic school, with all my study notes on the PC, I installed a Diamond Monster Fusion video card with its shipping drivers. They did NOT play nice with Win98 and IE5.0. I somehow managed to back up in DOS to Zip drive ... barely. I got the last disk filled and the PC went down hard for the last time. I rescued my precious files, but I wasted an awful lot of time that could have been spent studying. But at the same time, I started to become a geeky chick. Now I have my back up set as a weekly scheduled task.

6. jamming

jamming Banned

My personal feeling is:
    1. Back-up Critical Files Daily
    2. Back-up Important Files Weekly
    3. Back-up and everything Monthly

I have a proposal that I usually suggest to business clients, removable hard media like a hard drive rotate it from someplace stored off site weekly with a duplicate. That week at worse you loose is a weeks worth of information. That way if your business catches fire or your machine is hit by lightning your OK.

I run two hard drives, in my personal machine since 1995 and I have a copy of important information on both disks. It is very unlikely I will loose both at the same time. I mean it can happen but so far not yet. Nortonworks Ghost is a good method to copy the information in a disk image, if you need that.

7. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

All my very important stuff is in my PDA. I backup when I need to reload my operating system...:)

8. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Luckily I didnt loose any data...just alot of time to do the reload and figure out what was wrong. The funny thing is Jammin...That I also lecture my clients about the exact same things...The importance of AntiVirus software, an active scanning schedule, and backup of data..

Sometimes its easier to talk the talk , then walk the walk...heheheheh

maybe I should listen to myself more..

;)

9. jamming

jamming Banned

I tried listening to myself more MrRT, but I kept falling asleep because I always was talking about things I already know about. ;)

10. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

When I ran networks all my sites ran daily backups. All system had daily backups for a week, weekly backups for a month, and monthly backups were kept for five years. Would have done more but limited by space and price of media. An 80 dollar tape is very cheap if you lose a day of work but they agreed with that and then limit the money. Oh, well.

11. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Luckily none of my client data was lost. No client web files lost, and no quickbooks lost...

real lucky actually..