1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Foreign Students Jailed for Cutting Classes

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Advocat, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

I don't know, but to me this seems to be a bit of "form over substance"...

"At least six Middle Eastern students studying in Colorado have been jailed in the past 10 days for failing to take enough college classes as required by their student visas.

The students ran into trouble when they showed up to register with U.S. immigration officials, as required by new rules to track foreign students. When they reported, they were jailed and required to post $5,000-US bonds for enrolling in less than 12 hours of college credit.

The Immigration and Naturalization Service says the students are being detained because under-enrolment is a violation of their student visas. The students are not suspected of any other offence.

"We're concerned about the heavy-handed nature of the enforcement and their lack of understanding of their own regulations," said Chris Johnson, director of international education at the University of Colorado at Denver. "Students are being detained unfairly and callously."

One University of Colorado at Denver student was jailed last week because he was one hour shy of a full load after receiving college permission to drop a course, Johnson said.

"I don't believe this is helping us with the war on terrorism," said Mark Hallett, director of international student services at Colorado State University. "We're alienating people who could be our best friends and ambassadors once they return to their countries."

http://www.canada.com/news/story.asp?id=0FF0C8BB-8AE1-4389-A3C4-8054701AE647

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Heavy handed? This is what INS should have been doing for years.

And before people lump it with the "war on terrorism" let me chime in and say that this isn't about terrorism, this is about following immigration laws. If you can't, there's plenty of potential legal immigrants who would love to take their place and abide by the laws.

3. jamming

jamming Banned

Really, when I dropped a class to go under 12 hours I would loose my full time student status and have to come up with a few thousand dollars. To some Foreign Students that is not a problem, if they are coming here to study, then gosh darn it study.

4. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

In my day dropping that class could result in being drafted. Students should be aware of all requirments. Think of what level maturity you would require before allowing a child of yours to study abroad and you should realize these guys should have been on top of it.

5. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

Finally! The INS is actually enforcing it's regulations and laws!
    It's going to be heavy handed for quite some time until everyone gets it in their heads this is what the regulations are... follow them or get out.

6. Advocat

Sorry to disagree with you, Ethics... here's the quote from the INS representative, right from the article:
    " 'As far as the INS is concerned, this system was put in place in Congress to combat the war on terrorism. We're carrying out their wishes. This is a policy issue," said Nina Pruneda, INS regional public affairs officer. ' The INS wants to ensure that international students are diligently pursuing a degree, she said.
    "

7. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Then I will say that Nina shall have an egg on her face and should not be speaking to the press.

As I've mentioned, I doubt this column or the students involved will find sympathy from today's Americans. Follow the rules or get out; I am tired of people taking advantage of our INS laws which have tremendous holes in them.

Not for nothing, this article made me more pissed off towards the INS than anyone and not for the reasons of jailing. It's more about, "What the hell have you been doing all these years?!!?!"

8. cdw

Exaaactly! If they'd been enforcing the laws the whole time, a lot of what has happened could very well have been avoided. Change is acommin' and it is welcomed.

9. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Not enough change methinks. Until they move to secure the borders (and I doubt there is the political will to do that), there is still the pesky issue of millions illegally entering the country each year, sucking up services and taxing infrastructure.

10. cdw

One step at a time, one step at a time. :thumbsup:

11. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

I have had a student visa for Canada. In big letters in english and french is "Attendance is mandatory."
    If you don't listen to the rules, you should be prepared to face up to the consequences.

12. Advocat

Should the students obey the rules? Absolutely. Should they be fined/deported for breaking INS rules? Again, absolutely. If this is the equivalent of a warning shot about the rules tightening up, again, no problem.

My issue was with the INS rep's statement that this was being done as part of the "war on terrorism".

Everyone knows why they're putting those with student visas under the microscope, and with good reason. But this seems more like an easy public relations "feather in the cap" type project than any serious anti-terrorism program. "Look! See! We're making you safe from terrorist students... by jailing/fining a bunch of students who were reporting in anyways. Who says we aren't doing our job?"

13. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

It's a comin' bud. It's a comin'. :)

<small><tt>I hope.</tt></small>

14. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

Oh not to worry about the poor abused foreign students and the great injustice being done to them. The university has taken steps with activist immigration lawyers to offer a free class to all those in question. The exact title is unknown to me but the subject is immigration law. (Rumor has it that the correct answer to all questions is "12 units.")

The class will enable all of those who are short of 12 units to meet the standard. Oh, by the way for those of you who try to operate on a reality basis perspective I am not making this up. It is really true.

15. jamming

jamming Banned

Then if they do that they are defrauding the other students on their education. If the Student had been smart he could of arranged a one-hour independent study with one of his professors. Produce and do the research for the development of a term paper in whatever topic that interests him in his choosen or intended major.

16. cdw

I believe it.... the universities have been fighting the immigration laws and reporting on the students that has been required because they fear they will lose money. Exchange students are big bucks.

I don't think it was a public relations thing... afterall, the INS wasn't advertising it. It made the papers because someone called them and complained. Hence, the INS was for a response. I think who they spoke to was just trying to get them off her back by saying, hey, it's not us, it's the new regulations for anti-terrorism. Ya know, passing the buck when in actuality they should have been doing it all along. That's how I took it, anyway.

17. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

In theory that sounds really nice. In reality.... Where is that big sock of horse mature when you need it?

Oh, what specific countries are these students from?

18. Advocat

Re: Re: Foreign Students Jailed for Cutting Classes

The article doesn't say exactly... just "Middle Eastern", but I think you can safely assume they're from countries on the watch list.

19. yazdzik

yazdzik Veteran Member

Dear Friends,
    I am at a loss as to why laws should not be enforced. I am the first person to challenge a law in conflict with the constitution, but when academia is already so debased, it cannot be said that requirements be mollified to mollify those who standards allow underperformance.
    If we start to make up "rights" based upon public relations, why then should not madison avenue supplant the USSC?
    Or has it?
    -M