1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For Violet- A great steak dish

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mikepd, Jan 10, 2003.

1. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

This is Steak Balmoral a great steak dish that is easy to do and can be served with lots of flair. Makes for a nice romantic dinner too. Don't worry about the whiskey, it burns off during the flambe.

Steak Balmoral

4 aberdeen angus steaks
    4 tablespoons Scotch whiskey
    10 ounces heavy whipping cream
    5 ounces beef stock
    4 ounces sliced mushrooms
    1 teaspoon coarse grain mustard
    salt and pepper
    1 ounce butter

1. Pan fry the steaks and keep them warm.
    2. Add the whisky to the pan and carefully set it alight.
    3. Add the cream, stock and mushrooms and bring to a boil.
    4. Reduce heat and simmer gently until the sauce has reduced by half, stirring from time to time.

Any good quality cut of steak can be used. To flambe, I like to use a long wood stich match for safety reasons.

I get my recipe ideas here:

http://www.recipezaar.com/

in addition to my many books. I also have a couple of textbooks on the techniques of cooking similar to the ones used in cooking schools. A great source of foodstuffs is:

http://shop15.omahasteaks.com/servlet/OnlineShopping?PCR=1:100

They have a large selection, run sales frequently and always have the highest quality products. We also buy in bulk from Sam's CLub and WalMart SuperCenter. Did I mention we like to entertain a lot? ;)

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Jeez, here I thought I had to move this to the Gin Joint. ;)

3. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

I like a man whose mind is never to far away from thoughts of the improper kind ;)

4. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Thank you and you know I wish you had posted this a bit earlier mikepd. LOL

I had two nice braising steaks out defrosted and was staring at them and wondering what in the world to do with them. I wound up cubing them and made up some goulash instead of cooking them whole.

I'm going to try this one this weekend thank you very much for the recipe. As everyone knows, I'm a homemaker and have lots of time on my hands but I'm always at a loss at what new things to cook to spice it up. This one sounds perfect ;) :thumbsup:

Thank you for the links too. I have to really look at them tomorrow. Time gets scarese here when night starts to fall. Scatter myself all over the place in the evening :)

5. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Be sure to let us know how you like the dish and the web sites! ;)