1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For the ex-Soviets in the audience

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by jamming, Nov 16, 2002.

1. jamming

jamming Banned

What Did you guys think when and if you first saw the movie Red Dawn.

Red Dawn Movie Info

It started Patrick Swayze from the Movie: Ghost

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

You DON'T want to know.

The realism of that movie, and forget about the plot, but the Russian uniforms, addressing each other, even the "Russian" speech was pathetic. Same thing goes for Rambo 2 through 4.

Only one movie stood the test of realism, Sean Connery's accent notwithstanding, The Hunt on Red October.

By the way, Sundance just had The Cranes are Flying with English subtitles. If you get a chance to catch it, please do. The setting is WWII.

3. jamming

jamming Banned

I was thinking more of the premise of invading America, did you catch the NRA-type Sticker "I'll give up my gun when...." in the window of the guy who is dead next to a pick up truck and the Soviet Soldier prying the gun out of his cold dead hand. ;) I thought that was a pretty good use of Irony.

4. ethics

It was silly in many ways though. I mean, we knew an evil empire first hand but Soviet invasion would have never happened like that.

5. jamming

jamming Banned

Oh yeah, but it was a fun Movie you evil Soviet, you. ;) Wolverines!!!!

6. ethics

*Groan*

For the record, I cheered for the Americans. If not for the sole reason that I thought that anyone with those types of uniforms and language SHOULD be killed. ;)

7. jamming

jamming Banned

BTW I loved the recent Harrison Ford Movie K-19, it reflected more of what I thought of Soviet Military, dedicated professional with patriotic conscripts, trying to do a nearly impossible job. They were our enemy at the time, but they were OUR enemy, not like these Goddamned Terrorists.

8. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

The Cold War was also a simpler time. Mainstream America, while not comfortable with the idea, was just starting to try and figure out just what amount of the talk that came out of some government mouthpiece should be listened to versus what should be covered up in the catbox.

9. ethics

I haven't seen Widowmaker yet, but will as soon as it hits cable. For Russians, however, the story is old and nothing new, I.E. SU sacrificing young people for their own political purposes.

10. DSL Dan

DSL Dan Registered User

I agree with you Coot, but who would have thought we'd ever feel this way? Underscores what a mess we're in nowadays!