1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Folding] Folding@GlobalAffairs

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by cmhbob, Oct 3, 2009.

1. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

When I got my new machine in December I could never get the client running. Tonight I tried again and have it running. I have the multi core console client running but can only seem to get one running at a time. Well, better one than none.
  2. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

The volunteers outperformed the various software programs in this project, but that is no surprise, because AI researchers have known all along that, so far, humans are better at pattern recognition.

While IBM's Deep Blue has beaten Boris Kasparov, the best chess player on Earth, no program so far can beat a real master at Go, because that ancient Chinese/Japanese game is far, far more complex than chess. The reasons are complex and not fully understood, but at least one reason is because humans can recognize patterns better than computers, at least for now.

What is true for Go is true for folding. Well, Leon, a bot can't write something like this, only a genius Mensa member. :D
  3. Steelermatt90

Steelermatt90 Registered User

hey dad, do you still have it installed on this computer?
  4. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Should be, yes. Should start up and run on its own, with no intervention from you.
  5. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

FYI, Team GA is still plugging along on this project.

As a team we've completed 31,599 work units for an aggregate score of [font="'trebuchet ms"]7,558,934

Our team is ranked [/font][font="'trebuchet ms"]866 out of 203418.

I'm sure this will continue long after GA closes up shop later this month.

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Note that Biker is going to continue GA after 8/31
  7. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

I missed that. Schweet!
  8. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I've got a quad core CPU. Is there any way to get each core to handle a separate work unit?
  9. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

I don't think they do that anymore, but they do run "harder" units. There are toggles. If you have it installed already, use -smp and -advmethods.
  10. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

11. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer