1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Folding] Folding@GlobalAffairs

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by cmhbob, Oct 3, 2009.

1. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Folding@GlobalAffairs

What's Folding@Home, you ask? F@H is a distributed computing project, where you donate unused computer power to a research project. The basic idea is that most computer users aren't using the full capacity of that 5.2 gazillion MHz computer on their desk with 9 billion gigs of RAM, and so wouldn't it be cool if there were a way to use all that excess computing power?

When you join Team Global Affairs at Folding@Home, you download a small program that runs in the background on your computer. When that program detects that you have unused capacity (like when your screensaver kicks in, or there's nothing happening), it starts doing some work on the research project.

Folding@Home happens to be working on protein folding. Proteins have to "fold" or assemble themselves before they can do anything useful in the human body. If they don't fold properly, bad things happen.

As of October 2009, we've got 7 active users. Since its inception in mid-2007, Team Global Affairs has completed some 19,055 work units, earning 3,203,903 points. You can see more information here, which is a fancy way of viewing the official stats here.

OK, so I've told you what folding is, and I've bragged on Team Global Affairs a bit. Now what?

Now, you decide that you want to help! :)

The main reason we chose F@H is that so many of us have been touched by cancer is some way. Cancer has taken at least one member of this forum as well as spouse and family members of others. It's a bastard of a disease, and an absolutely hideous way to die. Folding is a concrete way for an individual to do something about finding a cure. Here's how you join:

1. Choose a username. You can use the search tool at that link to see if it's available.
    2. Go to the Client Download page, and chose the appropriate client for your OS. There are clients for Linux, Mac, PC, and even the PS3. If you have really powerful video cards, there are even clients just for that.
    3. When you install the software, use 79189 for your team number. Stanford/F@H stats software will automagically add you to our team stats.

That should get you started. There are a bunch of posts about F@H here. If you have a question, you can ask us here, or try the support forums at Stanford.

Welcome to the team!

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Thanks for the update!

3. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

4. ethics

Let's hope we don't get fired! ;)

5. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Just joined, folding away!

BDD... :{)

6. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you on the team. :)

7. ethics

Bob, does the client support Win 7?

8. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

9. ethics

Thanks...

Hmmm, Ravital is still crunching for us?

Team stats

Someone thank him!

10. ethics

Ok, I am with you boys and girls again... :)

[​IMG]

11. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Woot! Now let's get some of the others back, and really make a dent!

12. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I have my new computer with a quad core I7 processor I would like to use for folding. I should be able to have four processes working at a time but I tried following the instructions on the Folding site for multi processor operation and the command line to config results in nothing. I suspect the instructions were written for Vista and that Win7 is the issue. Any insight from more experienced folders?

13. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Did you try downloading from this site: Folding@home - DownloadWinOther
    I tried at first the regular one and trying 4 processors, but this one does it automatically. You just have to follow the instructions, but it could be that W7 is the issue. I would see what they say in the forum that the download link is pointing to.
    I did see this right away: *other notes*
    5.92 does not currently support 64-bit Windows.

Installing on W7:
    http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=12097

14. ethics

Bummer, would have loved to maximize as Shiny.

15. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

I was just browsing through the individual stats and there are basically seven of us that have been active in the past 50 days. Everyone else is a no show. If we could somehow get a few of these guys going again (Stonehawk, Biker, ethics, damonlab, etc.) we'd break into the top 500 ranks in no time. Any thoughts on how to achieve this?

16. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Not going to happen on this notebook. I don't leave it running 24/7 like I usually do with my desktop machines. When it's on, I'm using the hell out it, thereby killing the folding service. Once I settle down (yeah, like THAT'S going to happen anytime soon :lol: ), put roots down and get another desktop machine, I'll revisit this.

17. ethics

Re: Folding@GlobalAffairs

My xps is a HUGE power hog. Only on when I'm using it.

18. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Well hell, just slip it onto some of your clients' PC's. They'll never know. :thumbsup:

19. ethics

LOL! No admin rights for installs. :)

20. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Anyone else getting errors like this?

Code:
    [14:10:58] + Attempting to send results
    [14:10:58] - Couldn't send HTTP request to server
    [14:10:58] + Could not connect to Work Server (results)
    [14:10:58]     (171.67.108.17:8080)
    [14:10:58]   Could not transmit unit 00 to Collection server; keeping in queue.

EDIT: Looks like others are experiencing this too.