1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[WOW] Flight going bye-bye?

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by Biker, May 23, 2015.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

241 pages of rage over the announcement that flying will not be making an appearance in WoD, and hints that it may be that way for future expansions as well.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/17597939626

As World of Warcraft is no longer THE cash cow for Blizzard, it looks as if they're not as worried about subscription numbers as they once were. First quarter of 2015 saw a decrease of 3 million subscribers, bringing the totals to back to around 10 million. If the numbers in the forums are any indication, they may shed quite a few more over the recent decision to scrap flying.

I suspect this is due to a turn over in developers (much of the old team is no longer there), and in a rush to push out content, they're not developing it to include flight.

I've pretty much given up on WoW. It lost its lustre for me some time ago and is no longer the world it once was. And Blizzard isn't as concerned about the franchise due to other games bringing in oodles of cash that takes the pressure off the requirement to develop top notch content that can't be beat.

2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Good thing that they made players run on hamster wheels for years for various ways to grind out flying mounts.

Yet another reason to never bother logging in again I guess.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I don't think this is that big of a deal. I actually prefer no flying. More community, more exploration. LOTRO never had flying and never will because Turbine believed it kills communities.

Also, keep in mind Timeless Isle never had flying and it was one of the most fun I've had with my daughter playing there.

4. Biker

Timeless Isle worked because it wasn't that large and it really didn't take that long to get from one end to the other.

The way things are now, you still don't see anyone out in the world. They're all holed up in their garrisons doing the "auto" dailies. There's no reason for anyone to venture out unless they're into the "jumping games".

5. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

True.

And Turbine didn't create and re-create (cataclysm map revamp) a entire game's worth of content and literally months of grinding faction around a function that they later decided to scrap.

What's to happen with Druids that inherently have an entire class skill that allows them to fly, all of a sudden they forget how (again, like they seem to do every expansion)?

6. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

All good points and I agree with you both that Blizzard messed up there. Personally, I am hoping WoW dies so more resources and competition can be had with either Blizzard's new MMO or someone else creates one.

7. Biker

I don't think they're going to do a new MMO. They're raking in a metric butt ton of cash with Hearthstone as it's also playable on mobile devices. I don't see Blizzard making something that even approaches what WoW originally was.

8. Biker

9. Biker

I don't think Blizzard has the ability to create the kind of content that will draw me back in. The entire company has changed, and while I sympathize with the point that the shareholders must be kept happy, it's being done to the detriment of the players. I don't feel the passion from Blizzard that once was WoW. They're just another gaming company now. And as such, they're incapable of bringing out the "next best thing" that will have the same effect that WoW had on us 10 years ago.

10. Biker

11. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Just read a Dev Watercooler post.
    They caved. You can fly in Draenor after jumping hoops, grinding rep and a few other goals.

Will be account wide. 90 and above.

12. Biker