1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First they came for the forums...

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by ethics, Feb 21, 2011.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I, as well as others, have mentioned why members left forums (and now Blogs). Facebook and Twitter are killing good, in depth discussions. I don't know whether it's the new youth, the circle jerk mentality, or people not having time. All I know is that folks would rather spew stuff their friends agree on and move on.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/02/21/technology/internet/21blog.html?_r=1&hp

2. mikeky

mikeky Member

I wonder if a lot of people finally realized that most weren't interested in what they had to say on their blogs, mostly because what they had to say was not original or creative, not worth reading. But as the article points out, those that are good at blogging are actually using Facebook to point people to their posts. I know I'm following several that way.

In a way, it seems like Facebook has become the great information compiler that news feeds had the potential to be.

3. ethics

Not really sure. I see people post stuff but I don't immediately follow the links. Stuff I post, people ignore most of the time. Some repost (I know Bob and Todd do). Otherwise, it's just one giant circle jerk. People afraid to challenge (or be challenged) in fear of losing their connection.

It's the new social status, quantity of friends who comment or "like" your posts. A pat on the back we've all been seeking and now it's as simple as putting a pic of a cute kitty.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

A lot of it is people afraid to get into an in depth discussion of things in fear of being proven wrong, or shown that their view is totally irrational. So instead of allowing a discussion of anything, they make sure that anything they put out can only be agreed with.

5. ethics

Right, which is pretty much an inherent trait for most folks. There's absolutely nothing one can do here either.

6. mikeky

mikeky Member

But with limited characters for response and the format of comments, I wonder if Facebook is even suited for real debates.

7. Biker

They don't want a debate. Period. They're afraid of it, and will avoid it at all costs. That's one of the reasons why Facebook is so popular.

8. Arc

Arc Full Member

This isn't the only forum I post in, all though this forum will always be more than just a forum to me and the members of this forum are more than just fellow members to me.

However, for whatever reason and for good or bad, better or worse, the drop off level and changes that everyone here is mentioning in this thread is much more prevalent at GA than in the other forums I participate in--by far. There is still plenty of substantive in depth debate and long threads with many contributions in my other forums. Sure there are also a lot more "wackos" too but one just ignores that and accepts as the price of membership or for access to the good stuff.

9. Steelermatt90

Steelermatt90 Registered User

I disagree. I personally love debates. Sometimes i will argue a different point, even if I dont agree with it for the simple fact that I love to discuss and argue. I dont post stuff like that on Facebook mainly because i ffel like it isnt the place for it. I feel as though people join forums for the purpose of educating themselves. Facebook is more for keeping up with mriends, at least in my opinion.

I feel as though when I post something controversial on my status or my wall, it just adds unneeded and unwanted drama. When I want to debate, I debate. I feel that this forum is safer to debate in, than it is to debate with people on Facebook. Its more of a private group, idk.

Plus, the things I want to debate or talk about are generally to complex to garner a response from my Facebook friends. Most of them are too young to care or to busy killing their livers.

10. Biker

You have to remember, the membership here does not represent the majority that are commenting on Facebook and Twitter.

(And it's about bloody time you finally got an Internet connection. Good to see you around.)

11. Greg

Greg Full Member

All of the above! Very perceptive comments!

I don't know what's wrong with me. I must be immune to facey pages and tweety tweets. I love to be proven wrong because that's how I discover my bad programming and get the chance to erase it and replace it with correct information.

I have my recipe website and blog. I enjoy the thought that somewhere somebody might benefit from my creativity, but I'm not willing to do anything to get traffic other than a rare comment. I don't need my ego stroked. That's the problem many times with facey face and tweety tweet people. They want attention, not substance.

12. Steelermatt90

Oh, absolutely. Not to sound conceited or arrogant, but I consider myself fairly knowledgable for a person of my age. I try to stay current on the issues around the world, this forum helps me do so. It teaches a ton, its a great resource to have available. I realize that i am not the average 18-21 y.o., but as i said, i feel that facebook is sort of my escape from the heavy stuff.

And you can crtainly say that again. Its good to be able to be vocal on here again. I have missed it.

1 person likes this.
  13. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

A lot of people, especially in business, can't afford debate or discussion about controversial topics. It can lose them money. It can also be tracked. Being in a forum like this where your true identity is generally hidden affords a cover that facebook can't/doesn't if you've got your real identity up there. It's also one of the reasons I don't invite people I actually know or do business with in here...I lose my 'cover' so to speak.
    Besides, what's to debate? I'm always right. :roflmao:

1 person likes this.
  14. ethics

Lol. I guess anonymity is a plus for us. :)

15. Steelermatt90

Everyone is braver (is that a word) when what they say is anonymous,

16. PottersvilleUSA

PottersvilleUSA Full Member

Yep it's hard to have a sustained linear discussion on either platform.

17. PottersvilleUSA

PottersvilleUSA Full Member

That's a really good point.
    There are many reasons to mistrust Facebook.

18. Greg

Greg Full Member

If you mistrust a forum you can go to another forum or start one of your own, changing your nym if you like. If you mistrust Facebook too bad, there's only one and you can't start your own. I don't like being subject to an authority that I can't appeal their decisions. And certainly it's a bad idea to mix your personal and professional lives. You're forced to adopt more rigid standards for your personal life or risk negative effects on your professional life, and the penalties for messing up your private life are far worse. The result is a loss of freedom in your private life.

There's also a security aspect. When Facebook screws up and gets hacked your personal details might be compromised.

19. Swamp Fox

Swamp Fox Veteran Member

You know, this forum isn't exactly open-minded, but I'm biased.