1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Human Clone to be Born in January

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by immortal one, Nov 26, 2002.

1. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Dr. Antinori stated that birth is expected the first week in January, and birth weight should be 7.5 lbs.

Agree or not with the cloning of humans, this will be an historic moment.

http://www.msnbc.com/news/840252.asp?0cv=HA00

2. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Once this happens there is no going back. What happens with this clone will be precedent for centuries to come. This will be a true test of what humanity really is at this point in our development...

3. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

That is awesome!! I am stoked. We need to do the research. We need to let the science progress.

wapu

4. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

We are on the verge of a biological revolution. I seriously hope he is successful and that it will lead to cures for what ails our bodies. Of course, I also hope that this is not used for the wrong purposes. Does anyone in here not believe that scientists are already doing this in the United States? It wouldn't surprise me if many failed attempts have already been made.

5. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Although I'm pro embryo cloning for stem cell research, I think cloning humans for reprodictive purposes at this point in time is foolish, not to mention dangerous. Although this appears to be painted all wonderful and hunky dory for fertility science, this man, as a scientist, is a bit dangerous. There's one big red flag in that article:

<i>When asked whether he would disclose where the birth would take place, Antinori said: No. Absolutely. I need to respect this project and these people.</i>

Note how he places the project before the patient? Perhaps a slip of the tounge, but I doubt it. As a scientist in human research, the first thing we learn is NEVER place the research before the patient. I wonder just how far this chap will go to get his cloned baby. :huh:

6. El Coyote

El Coyote Registered User

One advantage of cloning is that there woudl be no second "biological parent" to try to claim sole custody of the child.

What this will show is the effect of environment over genetics.

7. Scott

Scott Some Assembly Required

the only problem i see with all this is the population problem we already have. if we do find ways to cure a bunch of diseases through cloning, it would probably be the downfall of the planet. if everyone starts living for 120 years, we as a planet are screwed..........

8. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Cloning for research (stem cells) and cloning for reproduction are two very different animals. The kind of "research" Antinori is doing ain't gonna cure diseases, but it will make him rich and famous. :rolleyes:

9. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

Of course it'll also screw him over if something goes wrong.

10. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I am hesitant to accept the Dr.'s claim at face value. The difficulties in bringing a cloned infant anything to term are enormous, even utilizing the technique to create Dolly. There are also not insignificant genetic issues and premature aging to contend with. As he offers no proof other than his word, I'm inclined to skepticism at this juncture.

11. mikeky

mikeky Member

A ploy to continue interest and funding for his venture, perhaps?

12. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I agree, I think he's a fraud.

And I think at this point in science, it would be a huge mistake. There just hasn't been enough research on cloning to know the negative effects before turning it loose on a live human. The mere fact that it can be done notwithstanding... Can be and should be are two very different things.

But if it ever becomes commonplace, sign me up for a Cindy Crawford...:happy:

13. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Sing me up as a fraud also.

I've read in Scientific American that real human clones are years away even if we funded all of our money to it now.

14. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

Agreed. This could all be a big crock of caca. I guess we'll find out for certain if the cloning is a reality come January.

I have my reservations about it, but I hope it's successful.
    What a breakthrough this could be for science!

15. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Or, if it's true, a genetic abomination with poor chances for long term survival who will not have a life unto itself, save that of a 21st century media sideshow attraction.

16. Pyrion

Pyrion Liquid Metal Nanomorph

And, again, if that happens, there goes any prospects of cloning becoming more than a prototypical reality.

Seriously, if they screw it up the first time, nobody's going to want to "try again". The argument that they're "playing God" with human lives is going to be reinforced each time they screw something up and shrug it off in the name of "progress".

17. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Yes. The psychologists studying the effects of nature / nurture on human development must be looking forward to a new pool of subjects to work with.