1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firewall/BoClean

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ditch, Jan 26, 2003.

1. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I currently have the free version of Zone Alarm installed. It gives me problems I can do without. I cannot load a few sites including, ironically, Zone Labs. I have uninstalled ZA and had no problem loading the sites that were previously impossible to get to. Once ZA is reninstalled the same problems arise despite my having them listed as safe zones in ZA.

Needless to say this pisses me off. I'm curious to know what is the "next best" firewall as ZA invariably gets the top vote.
    Also, is BOClean an alternative and better solution than a firewall?

2. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I don't know much about BOClean. However out of the firewalls I've used, <A HREF="http://download.kerio.cz/dwn/kpf2-win.exe">Kerio Personal Firewall</A> has been my favorite. However I personally just the the one built into Windows XP in addition to the firewall built into my router.

3. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Techie, I also have a router, I think that is the correct title to give it. A DLink DI-804. It does have a built in Firewall and I would be happy to get rid of ZA if I was sure I wasn't running any security risks. Is there a way of testing for security levels to determine this?
    I have one PC with XP and another with ME.

And thanks. I'll have a look at Kerio.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Your personal firewall packages are designed primarily for outbound protection if you also have a router based firewall. There are valid arguments for and against software firewalls for those who also use routers.

Personally, IMO, Kerio is one of the best. If you're worried about outbound protection, it's a good, flexible package. Can be daunting to set up as far as the rule base is concerned, but tends to be one of the better packages out there I think. Much more configurable than ZA.

5. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

I'll have a look Biker, thanks for the info. "Daunting".....mmm. I'll be as careful as I know how.;)

6. immortal one

immortal one 501st Geronimo

You can try Steve's site for a securitry scan.
    http://grc.com/intro.htm

7. Techie2000

I don't know about the DI-804, but I have a DI-704P and it has a packet filter. You just have to take the time to configure it.

8. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Thanks for the help.

9. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Before I go and download Kerio, has anyone had any experience with Sygate Personal FW?

10. Techie2000

Yeah. I've used it before...

11. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Like you said, Kerio is your favourite.;)

12. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

A positive already with Kerio, is that since installing it I no longer have a problem previewing an Image created in Image Ready in Internet Explorer.
    While I am using Opera at the moment for browsing it isn't listed as an option in IR although it can be added.

13. claire

claire Registered User

Hi Ditch,

BOCLEAN is an Anti -Trojan software not a firewallAFAIK
    As far as firewalls are concerned you can have a look at LookandStop(not the free version) with enhanced ruleset

http://www.looknstop.com

14. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Thanks Claire.