1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Firefox Extensions

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by tke711, Aug 24, 2004.

1. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I didn't like allinonegestures. I preferred <a href="http://optimoz.mozdev.org/gestures/">this one</a> since it's closer to what I was used to with Opera.

3. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

I like the one for Bloglines, so that I can access my blogline subscriptions at any time - it also informs you when one of your subscriptions has updated. Its pretty cool.

4. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Here are mine ...

5. ethics

Guestion, why have google bar extension when FF comes with Google as the main search engine built in to the browser?

6. tke711

Another one I'm trying right now is BBcode.

It adds a context menu for easy access to BBCODE formating in forums such as ours.

7. tke711

BBcode is actually very, very cool and useful. It makes it easier and quicker to manipulate your post in the way you would like.

8. tke711

I just successfully tested out another extension that is kind of fun.

It's called Translation Panel and it allows you to add a button on your toolbar that opens a a translation panel.

9. ethics

Good stuff!!!

10. tke711

Here is an updated list of the extensions I'm running under Firefox 1.0PR:

Enabled Extensions: (16)

Adblock 0.5.2.039 - Filters ads from web-pages
    All-in-One Gestures 0.12.4 - This extension allows you to execute common commands using mouse gestures, rocker navigation, scroll wheel navigation and page scrolling.
    BBCodeXtra 0.2 - Adds BBCode/HTML/XHTML commands to the context menu
    BugMeNot 0.6 - Bypass compulsory web registration with the context menu via www.bugmenot.com.
    Close Tab On Double Click 0.1.2 - When a tab is double clicked, the tab will close
    Image Zoom 0.1.7 - Adds zoom functionality for images
    Linkification 0.9.18 - Converts text links into genuine, clickable links.
    ListZilla 0.4 - Outputs a list of either extensions or themes to a text, vB code, or HTML file.
    Single Window 1.4 - Single window mode for Firefox and Mozilla.
    SpellBound 0.6.0 - Composer Spell Checker ported to Firefox
    Translation Panel 1.3.6 - An input text is translated into a foreign language.
    Url2NewTab 0.2 - Load anything typed in location bar to a new tab; click home button to load home into a new tab.
    WebmailCompose 0.5.5 - Makes mailto: links load your webmail's compose page and adds a Compose link to the context menu.
    ieview 0.82 - Open pages in IE via Firefox menus
    j2re-1_4_2_05-windows-i586.xpi -
    xKiosk 0.6 - Adds a paranoia button to the toolbar

P.S. List compiled by using ListZilla...very helpful!

11. ethics

Well done, lad!

I am voting on this for PoD just for the information you've provided and made it easier for me to upgrade to 1PR. :)

12. Sacchiridites

Sacchiridites Banned

Love the zoom. Comes in VERY handy not having to open another program when thumbnails are posted here.
    Anyone know when Shockwave 3-D will be compatible?

13. tke711

It was quite painless for me, and I was frankly expecting the worst.

Many of my extensions automatically updated when I installed the new version. The rest I had to search out a little bit. However, it now looks like Mozilla Update has done a good job of refreshing to the 1.0PR versions of most extensions so that would make it much easier.

14. tke711

There have been reports of Shockwave 3-D working on the Mac version of Firefox 1.0PR. If true, then it will only be a matter of time (if it isn't already).

15. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

I downloaded bugmenot, but where is it? How do I implement it?

16. ethics

Go to WP for example. Try to get in to an article. See the registeration page where it asks you to put in stuff. Right click in one of the boxes and bugmenot extension does the rest.

17. tke711

What ethics said. It just adds a choice to your context menu (right click menu).

18. tke711

This isn't an extension, but I thought I would post it here anyway.

Firefox 1.0PR now has the ability to add live bookmarks. What is that you ask? It's the ability to put RSS feeds right into your bookmarks. To me, this is now one of my favorite features!!

For a better explanation and a how to, please check out this site.

My only complaint is that I have yet to find a way for them to auto-refresh, but I can't imagine that taking too long for someone to write.

19. Cariad

Cariad cymru am byth

Oh very slick, I couldn't figure out where it was hiding itself - thanks.

20. ethics

It still does not beat (Lissa's favorite and mine :)) Bloglines. With Mozilla's Bloglines notifier at my bottom right, I am all set to go. :)