1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Firearms] Packin' Little Heat!

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Sierra Mike, Jan 17, 2003.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Anybody have any practical experience with the Sig P239? I love the P220, but it's a bit on the bulky side. I'm a real fan of the SigArms family, but not a champion of "little" guns...unless the MP-5 PDW qualifies. Comments? Suggestions? Alternates?

SM

2. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Steve...

Do you not like the Glocks??? I'm quite happy with the Glock 23...

GLOCK 23
    Caliber
    Safe Action System
    Length (slide)
    6.85 in. 174 mm.Height
    Height
    5.00 in. 127 mm
    Width
    1.18 in. 30 mm
    Length between sights
    6.02 in. 153 mm
    Barrel length
    4.02 in. 102 mm
    Barrel rifling
    right, hexagonal
    Length of twist
    9.84 in. 250 mm
    Magazine capacity
    10 / 13 / 15
    Mass (weight)
    Empty without magazine
    21.16 oz. 600 g
    Empty magazine
    2.46 oz. 70 g
    Full magazine 5)
    ~9.87 oz. ~280 g
    Trigger pull (standard)
    ~5.5 lbs. ~2.5 kg
    Trigger travel for discharge 6)
    0.5 in. 12.5 mm

BDD... :{)

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Steve, the Sig is .357 caliber, that's not a little gun?

I'm a n00b so don't mind a stupid question if it is.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I don't have any experience with the SIG, but everyone that I know that has one loves it. I'm still quite partial to my 9mm Barretta.

5. ethics

Another stupid n00b question.

When you apply to go and shoot at the pistol target practivce range, can you bring your own gun and use it, or do you have to use theirs?

6. Biker

**chuckle** Thought the whole purpose of going to the range was to fire your own weapon? ;)

I don't know of any ranges that "rent" out firearms. You take your own.

7. ethics

Ok cool. I've found one via Steve's SiG dealer link. Very far but worth it, I think.

8. Biker

Just make sure you transport it according the local requirements. Not sure what NY requires, but I'm sure it isn't near as lax as it is in Texas.

9. ethics

I guess this would be me:

TYPES OF LICENSES

PREMISES LICENSE: IS A RESTRICTED TYPE OF LICENSE. It is issued for your RESIDENCE or BUSINESS. The Licensee may possess a handgun ONLY on the premises of the address indicated on the front of the license. Licensees may also transport their handguns and ammunition in SEPARATE LOCKED CONTAINERS, DIRECTLY to and from an authorized range, or hunting location. HANDGUNS MUST BE UNLOADED WHEN TRANSPORTING.

http://www.ci.nyc.ny.us/html/nypd/html/dclm/ldinfo.html

10. Domh

Domh Full Member

My range rents out, but its unusual.

BDD - I love my Glock 23 - breaking its hymen tomorrow, though - so Ill report back if it ehibits a quirky personality.

My lady is funny - I wanted to get a smaller handgun for her use, but shes simply not interested. A duck hunter, she she "just needs a single shot 12, dear - itll cut a man in half from across the room... but thanks."

*sniff* I love her so much... even though shes crazy for not opting for repeat.

;)

11. ethics

The more I read the more I realize just how much NYC is a Police State city.

12. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

I meant as in SIZE, you fool!

SM

13. Biker

14. ethics

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Oh Steve?

:kissmy:

15. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

I am glad to see that you cannot run around with loaded weapons in your pockets. The rule protects the saner folks in the City from the gun nuts.:happy:

16. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

They rent guns at most of the ranges in Southern California and Nevada.

I don't own any Sig handguns (I have a .270 SHR from them though) but the quality in the ones I've handled is very nice.

17. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Son, my son has owned two P239, one each in .40 and .357. The 3.57was a bit of a cannon but the 40 was sweet. With the limit on mag size it's a little useless to get the full size. My hand is a little small so I find any double wide mag uncomfortable but have grown used to it. The 45 fits my hand like a glove compared to the double wides.

18. Jedi Writer

Jedi Writer Guest

For a handgun as a personal weapon there are Glocks and then there are the runner ups. The only question in what order do you want to rank the rest of the pack starting with number two.

19. ethics

Actually, after further reading, the SIG would definitely be my first choice.

20. IamZed

IamZed ...

I dont own a firearm. I really want the right to own one protected, but I dont own one.