1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[FF XIV] Final Fantasy XIV

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by SixofNine, Mar 11, 2010.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Ouch... :haha:

2. Biker

Rumor has it that Final Fantasy XIV: A Realm Reborn is going to be fairly decent. I went and registered for the final beta which is due very soon.

Naoki Yoshida is heading this up after the dismal showing of the previous versions, so there is hope for this release.

3. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Keep us posted then.

4. Biker

Umm, borrowed from another forum. :D

5. Biker

If you want to get an idea on what characters will look like as well as running a benchmark on your machine to see how well it will handle the game, snag this and enjoy. :)

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/benchmark/index.html

My notebook will groan a bit under optimum settings, but set to standard, it appears as if it will fly and handle the game with ease. The effects are stunning as well, and one can only hope they'll be similar to what we'd see in game.

6. ethics

Are you going to do this?

7. Biker

Hoping for a beta slot to give it a shot. I'd hate to pull the trigger on the game and find I hate it.

From what I saw in the video during the benchmark, things look pretty cool. I'm kinda stoked to try this one out.

8. Biker

Got the official notification of acceptance into the final beta test period which starts tomorrow. :D I know what I'm doing for 3 days!

9. Biker

I get so mesmerized by the spell effects in the above video, I keep forgetting to read the commentary that's going on. Back when WoW first came out, I remember saying I was disappointed in character movement during battles. FFXIV pretty much puts in what I'd have liked to see in WoW when it first came out. :)

10. Biker

Final beta started this morning and so far, I'm rather impressed. A few minor annoyances, but so far a rather enjoyable experience.

Will post more later. :D

11. ethics

12. Biker

As I said, there are minor irritants that I really don't like, but a lot of that is because I'm used to doing things one way, and they don't work in FFXIV. Maps, I think, could use some improvement. They're a little disjointed and makes for some confusion as to which way you really should be going.

Quest giving is a bit of a pain as well. You have to go through a dialogue before getting to the meat of the quest. While it's OK for honest to goodness questing (to get some background), the initial "send you on errands around the starting city" gets old in a hurry. Especially when they get long winded.

All in all? I'm definitely enjoying myself. Even in areas where there are tons of people, the notebook is handling things well on Standard settings. Some minor glitches here and there, but I think that's more due for the need for some server tuning than anything else. They have been having server issues today, too. Turned off character creation on some servers, which flooded the remaining servers resulting in login queues. That wasn't a good thing, but the queue did fly by rather quickly (as in a couple of minutes).

ethics likes this.
  13. Biker

I may pull the trigger on this one when it's released at the end of the month.

Things I really liked about it.

1) Easy mode? Forget about it! Even in the noob areas, there's no one or two shotting mobs.Even if you're two or three levels above it, you'll take it down quicker, but you still aren't going to one shot it.
    2) Some of the cut scenes give you some tantalizing puzzles to ponder over as you're questing.
    3) Some of the classes are going to be extremely complex. For those who excel at playing those classes, it will be a thing of beauty to behold.
    4) Quests are shown on your mini-map, along with a directional arrow to your quest locations. Nice touch.
    5) Honest to goodness night and day. Weather effects are spectacular. There's even a little sun that revolves around your mini-map like a clock. Gives you an idea when you'll see daylight. Slick touch.
    6) Portal points all over the city. NICE! Beats running from one end to the other (no mounts inside the cities).
    7) Mini instances. Never made it into a major instance with a party, but there are mini instances where you battle a higher level bad thing with an NPC. Complete with adds and everything. Gives you practice on the toon in an instance setting and a decent idea on what it will do. The two I ran across were great!

Some things that I didn't like.

1) Maps. Ugh. Give me a map dammit. With roads, towns, areas I've explored, etc. Hard to describe what the map looks like, but unless you're in a town (those were GREAT maps), you're often left scratching your head in wonder. Once in a city, you can't zoom out to figure out which gate (there are 3) to take to get to a quest area. That sucked. Many trips outside a gate only to find it was the wrong one.
    2) Mob regeneration can get overwhelming in busy areas. There were a couple of times where I almost died. Hopefully that'll be tuned down just a bit. Not too much, but enough to get the hell out in one piece if you buy the farm.
    3) You're relegated to running everywhere on foot until level 10. Can't even use taxis. This isn't too bad at first, but after the second time of being sent back to the starting city for something, it got old.
    4) It's my understanding that once you finish a starting city, you'll never ever see those quests again on another toon that you create. This means more slogging through grinds to level future toons. THAT is going to suck. Majorly! Perhaps that will change in the future. Who knows?

All in all, I enjoyed myself immensely. Some minor irritants, but all in all a pretty decent experience. The battle effects are definitely "Japanese" and there are times you sit there mesmerized and then realize you better get to beating on the mob before it kills you. :yellowlaugh:

It's not going to be for everyone. But even for this picky SOB, it was a lot of fun.

14. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I asked in another gaming forum and received a similar response. Sounds promising.

15. Biker

As I didn't spend the entire 3 days playing, I only got the starter toon up to level 10. Had a lot of fun doing it.

Another nice thing about the cities. The various parts of the city are instanced. I would imagine that spreads the load and you don't get nailed by lag as you would in Org, Stormwind or Ironforge.

16. ethics

The success or failure of MMO's tend to be on how many people jump off WoW.

17. Biker

I may take another WoW sabbatical for this one. :)

18. ethics

19. Biker

Yeah, that was announced ahead of the beta, too. If all went well, they'd keep the information on the accounts. :)

ethics likes this.
  20. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

At its high settings my notebook, which is at least six years old, scored "low" on the benchmark -- 1009. I'll run it on the best desktop in the house, too.

By the way, I assume that this is a completely separate purchase, even if you bought the first FF XIV?