1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[FF XIV] Final Fantasy XIV

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by SixofNine, Mar 11, 2010.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

FFVII was epic and I do love the genre. FFIII is on its way from GameFly so will let you know what I think about it.

3. SixofNine

There's a good thread about FF XIII, FF XIV, and FF in general over in the WoW forum at DSLR. Most of the posters are reasonable, knowledgeable WoW regulars in that particular forum, so it's a good read and educational for a noob like me. There is a mini-conversation in which some of them provide their personal rankings of the entire FF series.

4. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I have a feeling that it won't run on this poor ol' notebook. :haha:

Looks interesting, tho! Once it's released, if the specs allow it to be run on the notebook, I just may give it a try.

5. SixofNine

Yeah, I think these newer games are going to crush most laptops unless you can tweak a lot of settings way down. Heh, could be a good excuse for the roughly annual technology refresh at home. Last May I overhauled one of the home desktops: new mobo, new CPU (AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Quad Core), new video card (EVGA 896-P3-1170-AR GeForce GTX 275). Maybe this year I'll get a second 275 and try SLI.

6. m1taylo

m1taylo Full Member

A friend saw some bad reviews on it.

7. SixofNine

XIII or XIV? The former is out now and is a console game for the PS3 and XBox. XIV might have just entered closed alpha testing and will be an MMO that runs on PCs and PS3s.

8. m1taylo

m1taylo Full Member

now he says he is not sure where. Sheesh.

9. ethics

10. SixofNine

Square Enix has announced that Final Fantasy XIV will release on September 30, 2010 for the PC only. Those who purchase the collectors edition of the game will be granted early-access to begin playing on September 22, 2010. The PS3 version will not be available until March 2011.

Collector's Edition Pre-order on Amazon.

11. ethics

This the MMO one?

12. SixofNine

Yes.

13. ethics

Will give it a try. Who knows, maybe it s the next thing.

14. SixofNine

Passing on some info that I found elsewhere. Also, attached is an overview (PDF) from the alpha.

Attached Files:

15. ethics

Thanks.

16. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Gawd. ANOTHER riding chicken? Are there any other mounts in the game? :lol:

17. SixofNine

Here's some more info. I never played any of the previous offerings, so I don't know how much of this is evolution and how much is brand new (aside, of course, from the completely new MMO aspect of XIV).

CONTROLS
    controls.jpg

ARMOR
    ffxiarmour.jpg

LEVELING
    FFXIVLvling1.jpg
    FFXIVLvling2.jpg

JOBS
    jobsm.jpg

18. SixofNine

Initial reviews are coming in and it's not looking good for FF XIV:

That's from a review on Gamespot. It concludes with the most damning indictment that can be leveled at an MMO: it's not fun; it's work.

19. ethics

That game is off the table then. Oh well. Just hope that Blizzard has a new mmo announcement at Blizzcom.

20. SixofNine

Here's a well-done video review: