1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Figure Skating

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by muddly, Jan 12, 2003.

1. muddly

muddly Guest

Don't all laugh. Was anyone else watching the Canadian Championships, and wants to gossip about whether Emanuel Sandhu got his cheekbones surgically enhanced? Or other possible explanations for the blotchy and peculiar orange makeup?

Or even just bash around whether skating is a real sport? I'm game.

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

What? No judging scandal this time? Glad I missed it. :happy:

3. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

If they can pass of Synchronised Swimming off as sport then Figure Skating shouldn't have any problems getting passed as a sport.
    I guess if Figure Skating is sport, why isn't Ballroom Dancing? Some of those guys go to the same plastic surgeon as Emanuel Shandu by the sounds of your description there.

Speed skating is certainly a sport. Were does the line get drawn between sport and dancing? Its sport IMO. But only just! ;)

4. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Just to go off topic for a minute, but if one synchronized swimmer drowns, does that mean that the rest of them have to?

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Only if it's part of the routine.. ;)

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Figure skating is not a sport. Now pro football cheerleading, that's a sport we all pay to watch.

7. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Only if it's part of the routine.. ;)

Some people will do anything to win the gold.;)

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I grew up with this, since the Sovies were really in to this. Their television programs consisted of having Figure Skating competition almost nightly. I rememebr going to bed and hearing the tv of the event. Either my grandma was watching it or my mother. Don't recall any of the men on this but it was still fun for a kid.

9. muddly

muddly Guest

I really like figure skating; I basically ignore the judging and just enjoy the show. Skaters are some pretty fine athletes, despite the sometimes idiotic artistic component. I am almost tempted to get tickets to Skate Canada International which is in Mississauga here in Oct/Nov, but it would cost me over 400 Can. for 2 all-event tickets... yikes... and the seats left aren't great.

10. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I watch it sometimes. I like to watch it if it's an organized competition. I don't really care for it as a sideshow, like the "Carnival on Ice" type of kootchy-koo things, but figure skaters are some serious hardcore athletes, and I enjoy the competitions.

I like watching gymnastics too. It blows me away.

11. muddly

muddly Guest

Yeah, gymastics I watch whenever it's on (which isn't much.) It sort of cracks me up that the "women's" competition is composed of mostly 12 year olds.

The strange thing about gymnastics is that the men have some of the best bodies in sports, and the women have some of the worst.

At least in skating (almost) everyone has a great body. If you're an ass man (or woman) :)

12. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

You appreciate the sport more when you done the figure skates with no edges and just the 'teeth'. My first skates were at 3 years of age, and they were home made by my neighbor. Once I switched to Hockey skates, I realized just how much harder figure skating really is in comparison.

13. muddly

muddly Guest

Hard, hell... it's brutal. So far in my purely recreational figure skating, I've already broken a wrist, knocked myself out, and lost a tooth, and I haven't even managed a jump or a spin yet ;) Then again I'm klutzier than most people...

14. HaYwIrE

HaYwIrE Banned

Ever thought of taking up another sport? Like... ohhhh... say... Croquet?

I can roller skate circles around most people, and I can't even stand up on ice skates. I hate those damned things!

Now watching figure skating? Well, I certainly know why they call it <b>Figure</b> Skating! Hell! Peggy Fleming has got to be well into her 50's and I'd <b>still</b> (edited by forum host - easy now Haywire, there's kids in this forum)

15. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Well, gymnastics really requires a lot of upper body strength, something that makes men look better, obviously. But on women, gymnastics builds their upper bodies as well, but they wind up with large biceps and broad shoulders... obviously not feminine traits.

However... there are some seriously adorable women gymnasts. Mary Lou Retton comes to mind. She's a little doll.

Now skating, I think it makes the guys look weird. Butt too big. On women, it just rips their legs and butt, and that looks great.

I knew a young lady in high school who was a roller skater competitor, and she was seriously ripped then. She went on to compete in bodybuilding and was a gladiator on American Gladiator.

16. muddly

muddly Guest

LOL at editing of Haywire's post... thank you forum host, that was a bit "ewwww!" I gotta admit....

I broke down and got tickets to Skate Canada Int'ls at Hershey Centre because my sister said she'd go with me... we're WAY in a back row, but still, never been to a competition before so it's neat. Now I just need to sustain my enthusiasm until November :)

Re Emanuel Sandhu's face, consensus in the skating forums is that he had cheek implants (the face kind ;)) Michael Jackson, look out!