1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fighting and dying for the freedom of others.

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Arc, Sep 10, 2016.

1. Arc

Arc Full Member

The US has a long history of its young men and women volunteering to go and fight in wars abroad in which the US at the time was not involved. They went to fight for freedom and independence from oppression. Some famous air combat examples are the Lafayette Escadrille Escadrille in France during WWI, the RAF in WWII, and the Flying Tigers in China. Many examples of ground fighting in different times and places from as far back as 1836 at the Alamo in then what was Mexico and to modern time in places like Franco's Spain, and Israel.

I didn’t know that there were young Americans that were going to the ME to fight ISIS or Assad.

Below is the introductory paragraphs of an interesting, inspiring, and educational read about one such person. In other words a great story well told.

The rest of the story. Enjoy.

The Marines wouldn't take him. So Levi Shirley went to war on his own

dsl987 and Copzilla like this.
  2. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I knew a lot of veterans were going over. I didn't realize how many civilians were doing it.