1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Female's Body Hair & Origins of Sexual Preferences

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 23, 2003.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Whisper it softly, but most [women] have bristling knees, armpits and shins.
    Some of us have moustaches. You wouldn't know it, though, for we spend great
    amounts of time perpetuating the myth that we're as smooth as barn eggs. And
    why? You might hate the bitter truth, but it has everything to do with the fact
    that men prefer us that way. And if that's the case, surely this is something we
    should have overcome by now - in the same way that we have ditched eyelash
    fluttering, corsetry and bustles.'

An entertaining yet probing <a href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/women/story/0,3604,880197,00.html">article</a> by a self-confessed 'serial depilator' asks
    why feminism has managed to win many battles except the one over female body
    hair. In detailing the torturous methods 'involving the kind of pain once
    lavished on the village witch' and employed by women to stay smooth, she asks
    why women should bother going through all this trouble when all men have to
    worry about is shaving their faces?

As a male happily hiding where you can't get me, behind my monitor in relative
    anonymity, I'll come right out and say that I prefer women with no body hair.

But how did society get here? Apparently men in earlier eras didn't mind female
    body hair much, nude female portraits notwithstanding. Or was it because they
    had no choice due to the lack of modern technology?

Such preferences are generally considered fetishes, but at what point does a
    'fetish' become mainstream? Is a preference for (relatively) hair-free women (or
    men, for that matter) simply a popular fetish?

2. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

The article reminds me of an act from the Coney Island sideshow by the seashore (years ago).
    I don't remember her name, or even her stage name, but she was a "bearded lady" who made a point of announcing that she was a "woman with a beard," not a bearded lady.
    While she juggled knives, or flaming torches, her patter was essentially the same as this article..."hair as a feminist issue."
    It's only the patriarchy that makes a bearded lady a freak...women everywhere, throughout the ages, stop tweezing, and reclaim your real appearance.
    That was the gist of it. She was a good juggler, but not really with it. More of a grad student, slumming in the sideshow. I wonder if she's still around somewhere.

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I have no idea if it would be objectionable since I have never caressed a woman with excessive hair. Am not against it, but if we let that genie out of the bottle what if we want to go back. Kind of like letting them leave the kitchen.

4. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

rofl

5. muddly

muddly Guest

Regular bathing, washing hair, cutting toenails and brushing one's teeth could be considered behaviors that cater to fetishes, in the grand scheme of things. It's normal for humans in their original environments to be hairy, stinking beasts with rotting teeth. And big long crispy beards for the guys. Yay.

I think all the shaving fetishes have to do with a representation of youth... in a very general way. The standards for women's beauty that persist across different cultures and eras (there aren't many) are quite pedophilic, really... the big eyes and small nose, unblemished soft hairless skin.

I know someone's wondering about boobies in that context ;), but anthropologists would say the attraction of cleavage is in the resemblance to buttocks.

Frosted blue eye shadow, now that one I never could figure out.

6. ethics

Wow, muddly, you've nailed it, I think.

7. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Hairy armpits are sexy, and too seldom found, alas. Hairy legs -- ugh. Mustaches? For men only, please.

8. muddly

muddly Guest

Yep, I think hairy armpits look fine. Hairy legs also, but it sort of depends on the person, and the hair. I shave everything, though... well, almost everything. I just like how it looks to me; the boyfriend doesn't care.

I don't know if anyone has seen a picture of Frida Kahlo (not the slightly Hollywood Salma Hayak version) the artist. Unibrow, and a moustache. She not only painted self-portraits in huge numbers, she had no trouble attracting men.

9. Paladin

Paladin Have Gun -- Will Travel

I dislike fakery. I have no problem with accepting women as nature created them.

10. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Hair. It can get between your teeth and its hell to get out.

11. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

But you save on floss.

12. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

for anyone who might care, japanese women usually have extremely little body hair...should this be the massive item on your decisionmaking event horizon...

SM

13. ethics

That's not true. Why do I see them hairy all the time?

14. Sierra Mike

Dude, I don't know what kind of hairy women you're seeing, but the ones I've come across have very little hair. They might have some dense stuff in the pubic region, but as far as hairy legs and arms go, I can only say the ones I've known in r/l don't sport a lot.

Same with Chinese, though there is more variety there.

SM

15. ethics

Hair on Asians is actually one of the reasons I have never been close to them or sought them out. :(

16. Sierra Mike

What kinda hair are you talking about, exactly?

SM

17. ethics

Sorry, didn't mean to take this OT, will take it to PM's. :)

18. Sierra Mike

Figures. :haha:

SM

19. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Personally, I think hair is gross. Looks dirty. Especially men's hairy legs... *shiver* But I think Muddly is right about the child-like qualities in women that is said to be attractive. Child-like = young. Youth = fertile. It's all about the hormones and the need to procreate, though a lot of people don't feel that way. The majority do, however.

Now, I need to go shave my legs :D

20. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

All I will say on this topic, in the interests of public decency, is that smoothly shaven skin is far more sensitive and far conducive to enhancing certain pleasurable activities, for both women and men.