1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fellow Veterans - Keep an Eye On Your Credit Reports, Etc.

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by MNeedham73, May 22, 2006.

1. MNeedham73

MNeedham73 Well-Known Member

Well isn't this just :friggin: grand? The wonderful VA screws up again.

Perhaps they should have done that BEFORE the information was stolen! Shitheads! :vmad:

2. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Can't blame the whole VA for this:
    At least they're announcing it now, and apparently as quickly as they can.

3. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

Just :friggin: 'n ducky. That would be me. Bastard.

4. Kangaroo

Kangaroo Passed Away June 15th, 2009

Coot, weren't you in when all they had were three-digit serial numbers? :D

5. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

:kissmy:

I was in when it was just me and Shiny. :haha:

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

:haha:

SM

7. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

And we kicked butt!

8. Greg

Greg Full Member

Considering that the U.S. population is about 298 million, this single breach exposed 9 percent of U.S. to identity theft, one person in eleven!

By the time you add in all the other mega-losses of personal information, we are nearing the point (or have passed it) where it is more likely than not that any individual's personal information is compromised.

I'm amazed that there has been no decisive action on the part of the government to address identity theft, instead giving it lackluster, hit-and-miss, almost perfunctory attention. What is needed instead is a reworking of the mechanics of identification. It's absurd that three or four tidbits of personal information can allow a thief to ruin an honest person's credit and maybe their life.

9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Just received this via AFA...

10. Biker

Also from the AFA....

11. Biker

And from Military.com....

12. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

It has blown up. I've seen this get tackled by ALL geek publications I receive and they are pissed more than the vets.

13. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

And I hear the IRS decided to let a laptop full of active military personel info go missing... I am detecting a theme here.

14. Steve

Steve Is that it, then?

Here's where the real fucking begins. The costs to recover from identity theft well exceed $1,000. You can bet the lawyers running [st]this legalized theft scam[/st] these class-action suits will be raking in 8 or 9 figures, though.

Oh, and don't forget who gets to pay for any judgments: taxpayers, including the ones who win an award. Nice system, eh?

15. cmhbob

Laptop has been recovered. They're checking to see if the data has been accessed, but AFAIC, if it's been gone for 2 months, you can't guarantee anything.

Saw another article the other day that said the employee had permission to access the data from home, and is fighting his termination.

16. Arc

Arc Full Member

I often wonder, usually weekly, when folks are going to wise up and come to the realization that the greatest all around security risk in all of industrial civilizations and America in particular is the laptop computer. :shake:

17. cmhbob

Followed closely by the flash/thumb drive.