1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[LINUX] Fedora 23 (Cinnamon)

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Feb 26, 2016.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

With the recent crapola with Mint, I decided to install Fedora23 (Cinnamon) and give it a hard test run. Installation was painless however there were a TON (over 550) packages that needed to be updated after the install. Didn't take too long and was a necessary evil.

The one thing I do not like about this version is there is no program that shows what's in the repo's. So off I go to see if there's a fix for it and sure enough, there's a program called postinstallerf that allows you to activate repos and then select from a list.

But........... Fedora23 also has SELinux built into the core. As such, some things don't install via postinstallerf. Not sure if there's a workaround for that or not, but I'll be digging into it over the weekend.

So far, it's pretty good. The reason I went with Fedora over Debian was Debian's refusal to provide the necessary drivers for the Intel wireless cards. If it's not totally open source, they don't include it in the distro. Even though Intel creates drivers for Linux and allows them to be used, Debian doesn't include it. I'd rather have something detect and use all my hardware on installation, rather than having to fiddle with it after it's all said and done.

Screenshot from 2016-02-26 20-29-20.png

2. Biker

Some downers.

There is no graphical software installer that shows what's in the repos. MAJOR bummer. Got to digging around and there is a third party program called postinstallerf that provides this utility. Unfortunately, it's not 100% compatible with Fedora 23 and there are some programs that flat refuse to install due to SELinux. I suppose I could disable it for the purpose of installing, but that kinda defeats the entire purpose of having a hardened kernel. I'll have to do some digging to see if there's a fix.

sudo no longer works unless you do some fiddling to add your user account to the approved list. Thankfully, Fedora asks for a root password during the installation process, so reverting to the old school "Slackware" way of su root works just fine. I actually prefer this method over sudo.

systemd. I'm on the fence with this fiasco and am not a rabid denouncer of it. I'm of a mind that if it works, and it doesn't cause issues, the end user generally won't care what the hell is under the hood. However, as I'm also involved in the development of another distro, I am concerned over the amount of processes that are being lumped under one roof.

Memory usage is a bit higher than Mint. Not so much that it has a big impact, but still. It's definitely not a lightweight distro.

Screenshot from 2016-02-27 09-46-56.png

Some pluses.

SELinux. Nothing bad to say about a hardened kernel. Nope nope nope. [​IMG]

Everything worked out of the gate. No fiddling to get wifi working or anything. SWEET!

Different offering for a desktop environment other than Gnome. I hate Gnome. Gnome 3 is even worse! After using Mint Cinnamon for over a couple of years, I've really grown to like the desktop. More polished than KDE, IMO.

Overall, this has possibilities and I'll use it exclusively over the next week or so. Unfortunately, it's not one for the complete novice due to the lack of a software manager as part of the core package.

I'll touch base again after I've put it through its paces.

3. Biker

2 weeks on, and I think I'll keep it.

fedoradesktop.png

Haven't run into any issues (at least none that weren't due to my stupidity, never nuke partitions and forget to run an update on Grub >.< ). Updates (including kernel updates) flow on a regular basis.

Unless something catastrophic pops up (which I think is highly unlikely), I think I have my new daily driver.