1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[LINUX] Fedora 18 XFCE

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Feb 3, 2013.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I've always wanted to try Fedora, and now that I have plenty of real estate to use on the drive, I finally got around to installing today.

Installation was fairly painless and even with the advanced options selected for specific partition information, the install was fairly quick.

User information is collected on the first reboot and once you log in, you're presented with a screen similar to this:

Screenshot - 02032013 - 12:09:23 PM.png

Installed programs are rather sparse and you're given the bare bones minimum to get started. After the installation is finished, you're expected to install exactly what you want via Yum Extender. A bit of exploration shows tons of programs you can select and have installed, so the lack of programs from the installation disk isn't that bad. The only drawback to this would be if you're on a super slow connection, or have draconian bandwidth caps.

The kernel is compiled with SELinux, which is a definite plus. OS definitely feels snappy and it's apparent that a lot of work has gone into the distribution.

Overall, it's a nice distribution and one that has a nice polish. The biggest drawback to long term use is each version is rather short lived. There's about 6 months between each version release, and the maintenance for each version is only 13 months. If you're like me, and like playing with multiple distributions, this really doesn't pose much of a problem.

One thing I'm noticing. I'm starting to get a bit irritated with the lack of boot options during the installation process. Seems everyone wants to make an installer for the noob, and those of us who'd like some advanced options are being ignored in the process. Yes, the installer allows you to create/select partitions for the new installation, but with systems that have multiple distributions on them, an installer that allows you to modify menu entries is becoming rare indeed. I would love to see an installer that allows me to specify the grub file location, give a root password, and allow the installer to modify the files in one spot. Instead, each installer wants to load ITS version of GRUB, and I then have to log back into a different Linux distribution and redo GRUB. Definitely a pain in the ass at times.
  2. Andrey

Andrey A man who sold the world

I live LXDE desktop manager, it's considered to be faster than XFCE.

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I have an i3 2.3GHz machine with 8GB of RAM. The difference between LXDE and XFCE is virtually non-existent.