1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Featured Discussion - The Bah' Faith - Liberal Islam?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Domh, Jan 24, 2003.

1. Domh

Domh Full Member

The Bah' Faith is the youngest of the world's independent religions. Its founder, Bah'u'llh (1817-1892), is regarded by Bah's as the most recent in the line of Messengers of God including Abraham, Moses, Buddha, Zoroaster, Christ and Muhammad.

The central theme of Bah'u'llh's message is that "humanity is one single race and that the day has come for its unification in one global society." God, Bah'u'llh said, has "set in motion historical forces that are breaking down traditional barriers of race, class, creed, and nation and that will, in time, give birth to a universal civilization. The principal challenge facing the peoples of the earth is to accept the fact of their oneness and to assist the processes of unification."

One of the purposes of the Bah' Faith is to help make this possible.

"A worldwide community of Bah's is working to give Bah'u'llh's teachings practical effect."

The Basic Teachings of Bah'u'llh:

the abandonment of all forms of prejudice
    assurance to women of full equality of opportunity with men
    recognition of the unity and relativity of religious truth
    the elimination of extremes of poverty and wealth
    the realization of universal education
    the responsibility of each person to independently search for truth
    the establishment of a global commonwealth of nations
    recognition that true religion is in harmony with reason and the pursuit of scientific knowledge

<small>(Material taken from the Official Bahai Faith website edited)</small>

Questions to consider:

1. Perhaps the best know leader of Iran to Americans, due to his involvement in the Iranian Hostage Crisis (1979-81), Ayatollah Ruhollah Khomeini, (affectionately referred to in the USA by his more popular moniker, ayatollah ass-a-hole-a) despised the Bahai faith, as he viewed Bahaism as apostasy from Islam and therefore illegal. He was unsuccessful in fully quelling the practice of Bahai in Iran.

Does Bahai offer inroads for westerners to understand some of the tenets of traditional Islam, or is there really no clear connection?

2. Is the Bahai Faith merely a liberal interpretation of the Muslim Faith?

3. Do you know or have you ever met a proponent of the Bahai faith?

4. Is the force of history breaking down barriers between races and cultures leading to global unity or is the opposite occurring?

5. Bahais believe that religion and science are complementary. What is your opinion?

6. The basic teachings of the Bahai Faith (points above) seem to come across as a laundry list for a perfect world. Is the Bahai Faith over optimistic or sincere?

7. One of the major tenets of the Bahai Faith is the Establishment of a Global Commonwealth. Do you believe that this is possible? Do you think it is a good idea or that cultures and societies need to govern themselves and take local responsibility to maintain peace with their neighbors?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Awesome pick. :)

I've been with, studied with (and lived with) many Persians who were Bahai's. Will add any political leanings if the thread will go OT on this. :)

Great post, Domh.

3. Domh

Domh Full Member

It was an easy pick for me - I grew up next door to a mild mannered middle class white anglo-saxon family who were Bahai.

Interesting people. The father looked, sounded and acted more like Ned Flanders than anyone Ive ever know.

I hope folks chime in on this topic as its a fascinating faith and contemporarily pertinent.

;)

4. ethics

Haven't had any follow ups. :(

5. Domh

Domh Full Member

Nope. Ill pick something else soon I guess.

:(

6. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

It's a little uncommon... even in my region of Canada, which has a large Muslim population, I can't think of any Bahais I've been introduced to.

A few Sufis ;) but not Bahais. Most people just aren't conversant with Muslim sects, outside of the two mainstreams of Sunni and Shiite.

7. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

The only thing I can add is that I find it interesting that the world headquarters are in Israel.

8. ethics

The Ba'hai are the only people persecuted in Iran along with the Jews. I think this form of Islam is what most, if not all should follow. But that's only my biased opinion.