1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FCC to vote on Title II requirements for Internet providers today

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Left Coast Fiscal Conservative

Well. It seems that I have two contradictory replies, and Mark I know nothing about you while I know that Biker knows his shit, so I think I'm gonna trust in what Biker just posted.

I guess I don't know what to do now except lay on my back and spread my legs. Is this legislation something thought up by men? Probably so since Congress is mostly men, isn't it?

I can tell you this, they won't have much fun with me because I already kicked my cable TV to the curb. I don't want my provider's crappy programming. There isn't any more cable TV they can kick me on so I guess it's throttle my Internet connection, and nothing I can do about it. I don't have any other feasible high speed options unless DirecTV (Uverse?) has one and I have no need for a dish on my roof for TV signals I won't watch.

Your VPN isn't much of an alternative anyway even if you could use it because a typical speed might be 10 Mbps which is a pretty wimpy downlink and maybe you could handle one stream but multi-person households are out of it. Most likely result is your movie will be all forked up with pauses and watching the circle go round and round.

Myself, I need VPN because I work with corporate apps that require geo-location to deliver different content depending on customer's or employee's geographic location. If my app is supposed to work differently in EU than it does in US then I have to go to EU to test my app. I don't see how they will know the difference between a streamer and a corporate app user, although I'm sure my apps don't use anything near the bandwidth streamers use so maybe it will be okay.

And of course the bread and butter of the VPN industry is e.g. providing Chinese or some other oppressed peoples with access to markets like US, perhaps so that can get our government's propaganda instead of their government's propaganda. I'm including our fake news with our government propaganda.

Actually I'm in a good position to not bear the brunt because I mostly trade Blurays with friends or watch together, and ain't nothin' my ISP can do about me dropping into the local Redbox and renting a Bluray. And anyway I mostly stream music or read ebooks, and the streaming music requires very little bandwidth compared to TV.

This is just yet another example of our government colluding with the people who pay them and screw the welfare of the American public. That's our elected officials who are supposed to do what's right for American citizens, but one way or another they take money under the table or in an offshore number account and they screw us because they were bought by the industries they serve.

Hey, I don't mind getting screwed, but I kind'a like getting a little foreplay and kissing before I get screwed.
  2. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm getting Netflix the old-fashioned way via DVDs in the mail, so I won't be affected by streaming slowdowns, but they'll probably raise prices a bit. That was a dumb move on the part of FCC!
    Susan Addams likes this.
  3. Susan Addams

That's kind of interesting history. For me the Internet has been around forever since it was there when I first became aware of computers, and cells too. (I was maybe 15. Boys were more important then! And my BFFs too of course.) I was born before the age of giving baby a little tablet to teeth on instead of parental attention. That giving young children computers and cells seems to have started turn of the century. I was 20-ish then.

Biker I'm curious what government agency you were with, unless of course you were working at a government contractor or educational institution.

I barely remember the times before everybody had flat screens. I think my dad was one of the early adopters. He's a gadget addict so I guess that's why bro and I are gadget freaks too! ;)
  4. Susan Addams

Oh, that's great! I mean, that's fantastic! :)

I used to get DVDs from NetFlix and copy and return them same day so that I could get maximum throughput, then you know, you have a library and can watch the movie any time in the future. I have a pretty nice movie library and I don't mind that DVDs aren't quite as sharp as Blurays. Who cares if Dirty Dancing is really sharp anyway? It's the music and dancing and romance that are important!

Can you copy Blurays now? I figure any safe that can be made there's somebody who can crack that safe. It would be interesting to know how to do that. I haven't copied a DVD in quite some time but It was simple stupid back when I did it. And the software was free!
    Allene likes this.
  5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Air Force. I'm very "old school" where I started out on main frames and point to point teletype circuits.

I need to reinstall Handbrake, but if I recall, it also does bluray.
  6. Susan Addams

Wow! I saw those mainframes in pictures on the Internet and Wikipedia. I just can't imagine a whole room for just one computer. To be honest I'm not even sure how many computers are in the room with me now, particularly if you count the little chip computers found in everything from Alexa to remotes.

And teletype? Wow that was before fax and now even fax is obsolete. Everybody uses scan to PDF now!

I do have Handbrake installed but I can't remember how to use it or even if I used it. Of course I've got DVD Shrink and DVD Decrypter. Actually I was thinking of copying a movie for some friends coming over this evening, although already stripped of copy protection and nothing but Title 1, my Nero should copy it just fine.

Please let me know if you have any success with Blurays. Me and my BFFs get Blurays and it would simplify sharing if we simply make copies. Then like ebooks you don't need to remember to return them. I like to think of it as backing up service, you know, like if your BFF loses her copy you can just copy it back again! ;)

I'll have to figure out a way to keep my ebooks from self-returning themselves. As it is I have one tablet I read on and another for everything else, and the ebook tablet spends most of its time in airplane mode. Many people don't realize that Amazon can't take back expired library books unless they have a data connection, LOL! It makes me wonder if there is any possibility of jailbreaking my iPad and stripping out the .mobi files... Then, you know, hack the expire out of 'em.
  7. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

13 years Navy. Electronics Technician. While I didn't repair or use teletypes, I did keep up the lines of communication (satellite communication, multiplexers and cryptographic devices) up and running so ships and shore stations could communicate with them (as well as voice) among themselves. Did IT service work (PC and Mac), planning, pulling and running networks and IT management up until 1999. I was writing web pages in Notepad when browsers first came out. I was building computers when it took a soldering iron. Think Edmund Scientific.
  8. Allene

Allene Registered User

I don't copy any of them, and I don't use Blurays. We were still using a CRT TV until November 2016! At one time back in the early 2000s, we had a DVR so old that we couldn't find the code number for it to work with the satellite system we needed after we moved up here. When we called them to ask about it, they couldn't believe our machine was still working. It was a Sharp from the 1980s, if I remember correctly.

9. Susan Addams

Wow Allene, that's what I call frugal! Smart women are frugal and spend their money where it counts? You know, cosmetics, stock market, mani-pedi, index funds, oh and gold! ;)

That was my same point in the 4K TV topic. My Samsung 75" is a few years old and will likely have a long life. I see no reason to cut the poor thing's life short just for 4K. Nope, I'd save the money and put in say perhaps AMZN an then when the TV craps out you could sell some of your AMZN and buy a nice new 8K TV! LOL! And you'd still have a whole bunch of prime stock!
    Allene likes this.
  10. Susan Addams

Did y'all know that ITT (the teletype company) actually toppled South American countries back in the... the... well it was before I was born so don't blame me for not remembering. But it did happen. I remember some of my dad's friends having been there working for ITT and I think ITT was working with the CIA. Wow, all that just for teletype? Gotta be more going on there but I'm not at my best on the subject of history.
  11. anajames

anajames Full Member

Well, what happens is not in favor of US citizen. Now the American ISP has the controller to control the internet instead of a genuine consumer. So if you want to access the neutral internet in US, so you need to shift your IP location to other country's IP address through a VPN. .

If you find any difficulty so here are some good Christmas VPN deals available. Might be helpful..I believe in this current scenario VPNs can help bypass throttling imposed by ISPs, get one right now before they get banned too, and you lose your chance to explore the internet freely
  12. Susan Addams

I'm getting an answer of yes/no to my question will this help or hurt this. Actually it will help or hurt us, phrased that way. I'd like to know which now that I have received answers both ways.

Now through the new year will be a great time to buy anything, including VPN service. I expect the sales will end January 1 or 2.
    anajames likes this.
  13. anajames

anajames Full Member

Well, I am not sure when they will end it but yes it is a good to make a purchase one.
  14. Susan Addams

Let's face it, everybody from our government to service provider to retailers to anybody else is trying to track us. Anything you can do will help fight that.

Currently Gmail, Google and with recent Win10 tracking MSFT too.