1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Favorite Clancy Book?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Jan 30, 2003.

?

What is your favorite Tom Clancy book?

1. Executive Orders

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. The Bear and the Dragon

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Rainbow Six

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Without Remorse

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  5. Red Storm Rising

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. The Sum of All Fears

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. The Cardinal of the Kremlin

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. Debt of Honor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. The Hunt for Red October

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Patriot Games

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  11. Clear and Present Danger

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. Tom Clancy's Op-Center: Mission of Honor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. Other (specify)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

What is your favorite Tom Clancy book?

2. ethics

Going with the "Hunt" probably because it was the first movie I saw where the Russians not only spoke Russian but had the entire chain of command, the cliches, and jargon, and even the songs down pat.

3. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Hunt for Red October here too.

4. IamZed

IamZed ...

Well that was a given wasnt it? I mean a Russian dont take a dump without..uh well. What the fuck.

5. ethics

Wow, unanimous so far?

I've heard other Clancy fans mention that Red Storm Rising was the best, but I couldn't even finish it. Too gimicky for me, if that's a term.

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Red Storm Rising. Terrific book about the broad spectrum of combat that was expected if we and the USSR went toe to toe in Europe. Hell of a book. I have worn out 4 copies and will have to buy another shortly. Read about twice a year.

7. ethics

Cast the vote!!!

Perhaps I should give it another shot but I just couldn't get in to it. :(

8. Robert Harris

Robert Harris Passed Away Aug. 19, 2006

Haven't read any of them.

9. ShinyTop

The Bear and the Dragon was the only other one that came close to Red Storm Rising. Loved The Hunt and watch the DVD frequently. But it and most of his books are like story plots for movies with RSR and The Bear and the Dragon being real stories. In RSR, Ethics, there are at least 4 separate books equal to The Hunt. The stroy of the North Atlantic War, the Iceland story, the battle in Western Europe and the special ops run by the Dallas, Boston, Providence, et al. You have the story of the battle from the other side. Like I said, maybe not for everybody, but at least 5 good stories.

10. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

Now if Clancy had written *Hunt for red spiked heels* I'm sure you would have read it ;)

11. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Red Storm Rising, baby. The Hunt For Red October is my next pick, then Clear and Present Danger...which should have featured the 160th instead of the USAF guys, but I think Clancy didn't know about us back then. And if he did, he woulda had his ass kicked by writing a book where we willingly left our own guys on the deck. Debt of Honor rocked too, and the Comanche was in it!

The Bear and Dragon, The Sum of all Fears, and Rainbow Six sucked balls. I actually have Executive Orders on the deck.

SM

12. ShinyTop

I have read every book on the above list - started the opcenter series but gave up on them.

13. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

I would have to say Red Storm RIsing, I wish there would be a movie for it. Also I think OP Center is a real good book.

14. ethics

Movie would have been nice during the Cold War. I doubt it would generate much interest now though. But oh, what they can do now with special effects for it.

Also, as much as I love Harrison Ford, I do NOT think he is good as Jack Ryan.

15. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

I had to pick Clear and Present Danger...that was a real page turner for me.

16. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

I know it's not a Clancy book, but I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see a movie made from FLIGHT OF THE OLD DOG, or even HAMMERHEADS, but Flight of the Old dog was real cool. I read the book, and I have the Game which was ahead of it's time.

17. mikepd

mikepd Veteran Member

Red Storm Rising, I could not put that book down. Like Shiny said, I felt I was reading the play by play of what would have happened if we had really gone to war with the Soviets in Europe. Amazing read.

18. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Slightly OT, but I'm currently choking my way through a Laurel K. Hamilton book called Burnt Offerings (which, if memory serves, was also the name of a movie in 1975 with Karen Black where no one even lit a match). It's about this chick named Anita Blake, who's a vampire killer or something in St. Louis. (Even vampires must be bored in St. Louis.)

Anyway, she's apparently sleeping with the lead vampire, a French vampire named Jean Paul. I can tell he's French, because he never fails to address Our Heroine as ma petite or mon cherie. He even exclaims Mon Dieu! on occasion. And of course, he's so handsome he can only be described as "beautiful."

Great. The vampire is a poof. I'm wondering how I'll ever make it through this drek; I can only hope and pray that if there are any French vampires in Executive Orders that John Clark will give them a righteous ass-kicking while Jack Ryan burns them to death with a Zippo.

SM

19. Stiofan

Stiofan Master Po

Red Storm Rising for me. First book of his I read and still the best. His later books seemed to get away from the the military aspect and more into espionage.

20. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

The Cardinal at the Kremlin.

Why?
    Interesting premise.
    Read them all, Cannot watch Red October without having the Russian anthem running in my head for three weeks.
    Poor casting with Harrison Ford.
    Love the style, stories within stories.
    Great character development.

To military stories as Louise L'Amour is to Westerns.
    Love these books...