1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

[Review] Fauda

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by SixofNine, Aug 26, 2018.

1. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I binged the two seasons of this show on Netflix and really enjoyed it. It's certainly something different.

It features an Israeli anti-terrorism unit on one side and (in the first season) a terrorist whom they thought they had killed on the other side. Without getting political, it does a good job of portraying both sides of the conflict, to the extent that Israeli creators and writers can do so. For what it's worth, the NYT named it the best international show of 2017.

There's lots of first-hand experience portrayed, as co-creator/lead character served in a similar Israeli unit (reminiscent of The Americans, in which creator Joe Weisberg is a former CIA officer).

I read that it's popular in both Israel and among Palestinians, though the consensus among the latter isn't universal:

Watching Israeli TV’s Fauda as a Palestinian - The Atlantic

Somebody who speaks Arabic told me that many of the "Palestinians" in the show speak Arabic with an Israeli accent, but I didn't notice and it didn't ruin the experience for me. :) I did notice on IMDB that some of them are Palestinian citizens of Israel.

Politics aside, I also enjoy turning the brain off and enjoying the action in this show, of which there is plenty.

This video piece by The Wrap has some minor spoilers, but nothing that will kill the experience if you decide to watch the series.

2. Arc

Arc Full Member

Six, based upon your review I tried to watch Fauda. What in the hell! Because of Two things I could only watch about 20 minutes.

First, the lip sync was way off.

Second and more annoying to me was the camera work. The filming or scene view was as if the entire show was filmed by a hand-held camera that didn't have whatever it is that makes sure that the frame being filmed remains still. The damn camera was always moving or jittery, even on close-ups or on a steady shot that did have anything in the frame in of itself moving. It was a camera from "Parkinson's Disease Stage Two Lens." Then on close-ups, they were way too close on most of them. Combine too close in a still shot but with the camera not steady still moving makes 1+1=3

The whole thing was like watching film or video shot by drunk using a cheap hand-held camera.

I initially started watching Fauda on my 50 inch TV. Given the above, I thought maybe it's some glitch with the wireless connection or the TV. Consequently, I switched to my hardline Internet connection on my computer and tried to watch it on my 32-inch monitor. The exact same scenario played out.

Given you liked it so much and I know you have good taste I assume the acting and story were great, but what in the blazes led them to the scenario I described? I've literally never seen such inexplicable movie camera or framing issues or "choices" this bad before.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  3. SixofNine

LOL, I didn't have any sound synchronization issues, and the camera work seemed to be par for the course in terms of being the flavor of the month in this day and age. Though you said "lip sync." Did you watch a dubbed version? I didn't.

They seem to especially go nuts with the camera movement during the action scenes, but it didn't feel like anything strikingly different from other shows. At least there wasn't any lens flare. :)

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I couldn't get through the first 10. Too cliched.

5. Arc

Arc Full Member

Did you also feel disoriented or suffer any vertigo?

You know as opposed to my rambling critique of the camera and my last post I think a succinct description was that many of the scenes in the first 20 minutes that I watched looked like the movie was recorded during an earthquake.

6. ethics

LOL yah well... they were trying that gimmicky version of action.

7. SixofNine

Well, "Fauda" means "chaos" in Arabic. :)

8. ethics

Sure the story, why make it like I will have nausea after 5 minutes of camera work?