1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fast Texas Toll Road Struggles to Pick Up Drivers

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Jan 4, 2014.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Sooooo what happened here? I don't live anywhere near there but if I did have that option here I'd pay double to have an access to that.

Then again, it doesn't sound like it was well applied:

Some drivers and trucking groups said motorists have avoided the privately operated toll road because of the expense—fees can exceed $8 for cars and $29 for commercial trucks—and it often isn't the fastest way from point A to B. It runs well east of central Austin and other population centers.

"When I talk to truck drivers about the road many say they can't afford it," said John Esparza, president of the Texas Motor Transportation Association. "Many drivers own their rigs so tolls come out of their own pockets."

Veronica Beyer, a spokeswoman for the Texas Department of Transportation, which receives 4.65% of the toll road's revenue, said it had paid about $4 million to subsidize the trucker discount on the part of the road run by SH 130 Concession, but decided resources could be better spent on a discount on other sections of State Highway 130 where truck traffic is higher.

I guess they thought people would still flock even if it didn't make practical sense as far as direction?

2. Allene

Allene Registered User

I remember when that road was opened. I thought the speed limit was too high, but I don't live near there either. People are wasting money building or setting up things that look good to them on the drawing board but don't translate well in the real world.

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Not only is it expensive, it also takes you MILES out of the way. These pudknockers thought the higher speed would make up for the detour, but failed to take into account that most trucking companies have hard speed limits coded into their trucks, which makes the detour a money losing route.

Yeah, Austin traffic is a bitch, but that toll road was a freakin' disaster from day one.

4. Allene

Allene Registered User

We seem to have a growing number of "freaking disasters" on our hands lately--well make that the government's hands.