1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Far-Right Wing = Hate? (was...Now, this is scary.. )

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by HaYwIrE, Nov 2, 2002.

1. All new threads, which are split, will be split from the thread which spawned it in the first post itself. This is in addition to the pointer from the original forum that points to the new thread plus the name of the original thread being included in the title of the new. If there are complaints after all those pointers, then you are complaining to hear yourself talk.

Here have a Dancing Banana :happy:

2. jamming

jamming Banned

OK, It looks like to me that you consider far right/left wing is a group which advocates violence. So Rush Limbaugh would only be Right Wing? Michael Savage? Boortz? John Birch Society? What about David Duke? (he renounced violence, before he ran for Senator in Louisiana)

3. jfcjrus

jfcjrus Veteran Member

My apologies.
    Makes perfect sense, now that you pointed it out to me.
    Sorry.
    Regards,

4. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Jim,

You are correct. In my view, the farther one gets on the
    spectrum is defined by the actions one thinks is appropriate.

People who light candles and quietly march in a town common
    are far different from the lunatic who bombs an abortion clinics.

Toward the very edge of the spectrum is the person who believes
    in killing the majority of humanity to reach their objective. The one
    example which horrifies me is the far right fundamentalist Christians
    who believe we need to start this blood bath so Christ will be reborn.
    (The Second Coming) Think about that one! Doesnt the Constitution
    protect me from having their type of religion forced down my throat?

Right out there with them are the people who support (financial
    or otherwise) these criminals and the people who publicly incite
    this continued hatred. Surprisingly, when they get that far out
    on the edge, it really doesn't matter who let the virus loose or
    which end of the spectrum they were on.

-Ken

5. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Isn't it more correct to say that the far right are more likely to, have a reputation for, are traditionally associated with violence and hate than the far left? The tag the "violent far left" is tanatmount to being an oxymoron I believe.

6. jamming

jamming Banned

Ken, what your asking actually is not a protection you have by the Constitution. Our Constitution does not protect us from beliefs either religious or not. It was amended in the Bill of Rights so that the government wouldn't promulgate a State Religion, like the Catholics or Anglicans did at the time. However, it has been expanded/interpreted, in this case quite limitedly to include that no one religion or even no religion should be preferred over another. That is, if one religious/no religion organization gets a right they all get it. The common way of doing this is to deny the right to every such organization, because there is no way to grant it to everyone of them. Except in cases of Religious/Non-Profit tax exempt status which is able to be granted to everyone and other limited laws and regulations.

Like Prayer, can occur in School, if it is the students at no ones prompting, that conduct it during their free time. You are protected from that idea no more than you are protected from someone who believes that they have scientific evidence that at 10 mile wide asteroid is going to impact the earth in the next month, then after that month the recalculate and say within the next year. The only right you have is to oppose that idea, and not as the left does often to people they don't like in public settings by shouting them down. You have the right to show the fallacious nature of their arguments, the contradictions in logic and good order, but they have the right to act upon their beliefs as long as the obey the laws or are willing to suffer the punishment for civil disobedience.

See this is about controlling another's thoughts and speech is accorded the same rights unless it leads to a definable legal transgression. Like incitement to riot or commit a definable crime, not the general incitement that may lead to a crime in the future. We send people to court for what they do, not what they think.

Under your scheme I could demand protection from an atheist that says they don't believe in the value of human life, more than an animal who is butchered. Their belief is promoting the treatment of humans, as animals to be slaughtered. Directly encouraging others to devalue human life to the point it would be acceptable to murder. Just like old Joe Stalin and the NKVD in their athiesm.

7. jamming

jamming Banned

The Unibomber was an example of the violent far left recently, before that the Weatherman, the SLA, Red Brigade, and other such organizations. Liberals can be as dedicated and as violent as any Conservative.

8. -Ken

-Ken Guest

Jim,

Im sorry, I was kidding about the Constitution protecting me from
    people who would wish to bring about the Earth's end. I guess I'm
    just going to have to resign myself to having to use dancing bananas
    or something.

And while free speech is our right, people like Hitler have abused that
    right to it's bitterest end.

9. jamming

jamming Banned

Somedays it pays to be a Chronic Chemical Depressive, that way I am ahead of the Crowd ;)

10. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I disagree with the intent of the amendment. <b>Prisident Thomas Jefferson</b>, one of the bill's writers, is the one who coined the phrase, <i>"wall of separation of church and state"</i>. That was not invented or reinterpreted by atheists who wanted to be protected FROM religion. It came from our then President who happened to have been one of its authors. On the contrary, it has been the religious right who has abused its overwhelming majority status over the years, and they continue to pretend that the Second Amendment doesn't mean what its authors intended. It is a very good Bill, but it is also very overlooked. I think one of the things that makes our society superior to others is the fact that our government takes a neutral stance towards all religions.

History has shown over and over and over again that RELIGIONS DO NOT MIX WELL TOGETHER. Let people worship and believe however they wish on their own time. That's why we have churches, mosques, etc. What business does it have in government? We don't have the Taliban forcing their twisted version of Islam down our throats, and I think another Inquisition is unlikely. Thank Zod, and thank the Second Amendment.

11. jamming

jamming Banned

Sorry RRedline but you bought into a particular lie that has been fostered by those opposed to any religion.

The term "Wall of separation" originated with Thomas Jefferson in a "Private" letter to a Baptist Minister. In 1802 that letter was a response to a rumor that the new American government was going to establish a national church, as was and still is the case with the Anglican Church in England.

Jefferson explained that the Founding Fathers wisely set up a wall of separation of church and state to prevent such a happening. IE: No singular denomination will ever have official sponsorship of the US government or be officially sanctioned as the one and only official church (denomination) of the United States of America and or be financed by it. That was the long and short of it. Jefferson never indicated anywhere at anytime that Christianity as a whole should be BANNED from the public and national dialog, public places and American life as a whole. Neither did he ever intend this statement to have official standing or be considered a RULE OF LAW. It was a PRIVATE statement in a PRIVATE communication.

Two days later, Thomas Jefferson attended church services in what was then Washington D. C.'s most public building -- the Chamber of the House of Representatives in the Capitol Building. He was a regular attendee as was many of the others in the government of the time to Christian services conducted in several locations in the Capitol complex.

Clearly, Jefferson's meaning was NOT the absolute expulsion or eviction of Christianity out of American life as erroneously extrapolated out of it by the ACLU. Statuary hall and the Rotunda are filled with the images of the Founders who attended also those same services as Christians, some of whom also where Ordained active Ministers.

12. ditch

ditch Downunder Member

Jim, I dont think individuals such as Uni bomber should be used as examples of politically left or right for the sake of offering evidence about extremist tendencies of the left or right. My point was with regards to the classification of groups or political movements into more or less aggressive. Isn't it also correct to say that McVeigh was more anti government and an anarchist than a far leftie. Th Red Brigade I agree with you on. Nazis, Neo Nazis, Franco, Pinoche, KKK are some examples that support the argument that the right wing are the more aggresssive in pusuit of their ideals.

13. jamming

jamming Banned

See the Problem is that there are others, like the Marxist Rebels in South American Andes Countries.

But you must understand in the US the Liberals are seen as more mainstream and getting their way more than the Conservatives. They have great support in the Movie Industry, News, and even in many public school systems. Their point of view has advocates that bring it into the mainstream. When you see the advocates of the fair treatment of the right or pro-right views those sources are marginalized and considered destructive by these more main stream media. I mean if 80% to 90% of Television News personalities identify themselves as members of the liberal party, what do you think is going to happen in their reporting. I just know people are going to want to refute this (Pup, Ken).

Basically, it comes down to this, if you marginalize or shout down the opposite views, the more likely that people will choose extra-legal actions to do so. Protest outside of the law comes down to two choices, violent and non-violent. Except for Ghandi in India and Martin Luthur King, Jr. (both religous leaders) most groups don't choose the non-violent. Thoreau talked about there is no one so free as someone who has nothing to lose and who will accept any punishment. When you consider your opposition to your point, I always want to keep my opponent engaged and talking, that is the only way to gain ground.

So I try not to marginalize those who differ from me and sometimes I am more successful than others.

14. -Ken

-Ken Guest

"So I try not to marginalize those who differ from me
    and sometimes I am more successful than others."

Excellent advice, please explain how you would apply
    this to either Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin or Saddam.

There is a line, when crossed that needs to be acted on.
    As surely as we cannot allow someone to scream "Fire"
    in a crowded movie house, lies (with no other purpose
    other than to spread hatred) need to be opposed - LOUDLY.

I find it hypocritical to expect the Muslim countries to do something
    about their militant clerics yet we should be free to spew the same
    crap from every Tom, Dick and Haywire. This is a serious problem.

15. jamming

jamming Banned

Ken, I don't believe that we should ask Muslim countries to do something about their militant clerics, unless they move from talking about things to actually doing violence.

Re: Hitler, Pol Pot, Stalin or Saddam, the difference is they are dictators of a foreign country and not citizens of our country. When they also moved from talking to actual violence, they also went to far. The goal I talked about is to prevent people from being marginalized in a free society. You don't give a shot of antibiotics to cure someone who is having a stroke, two different issues.

16. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Jamming, who is trying to eradicate Christianity(or any other religion for that matter) from the United States? All I see are people trying to keep it out of government, which again, is what the Second Amendment is supposed to do. Nobody is trying to close down all churches and forcing people to stop believing in God.

So what if Thomas Jefferson was a Christian? I am an atheist, but I support everyone's right to believe however they want - just not with my tax dollars. Just because Jefferson was a Christian does not mean that he didn't support separation of church and state. You may think that it is only an issue with atheists, but trust me, if the Second Amendment is not enforced today, it won't be the atheists who you will be arguing with years from now. It's going to be the battle of the religions as more and more people of other faiths immigrate here and as more and more people change their own beliefs.

You may support the Ten Commandments hanging in a court room today, but how will you feel twenty years from now when you appear before a judge, and hanging in the background is a statue of Vishnu? How about Islamic phrases taken from the Qu'ran? Our country is only going to become more and more diverse, and I think Jefferson and others probably understood this. You may not like it now, but you'd like it even less if we allowed it to continue.

I respctfully disagree with you on this subject. I guess my whole point is that it makes no sense to set up a nation of immigrants - people from literally everywhere - and then try to have a national religion - Christianity in this case. I just find it hard to believe that our founding fathers could not have seen this. It's hard enough at times getting people of different Christian denominations to be nice to each other(i.e.: Northern Ireland anyone), let alone completely different faiths!

What is so bad with keeping religion out of government? And why would anyone feel that they can't believe and worship the way they always have? My main problem is more with public school prayer and trying to teach creationism than anything else. I really don't get all worked up over small communities displaying nativity scenes or other harmless activities, but I don't believe for one second that those people who organize those things wouldn't get upset if I put a statue of Budhha in their town hall. There WILL come a day where all these people fighting to keep "God" in places that it never should have been in the first place are going to suddenly compromise and say, "Okay, let's keep religion out of government." It is not just atheists who get upset at having religion tossed in front of them by their gorvernments. I'm sure religious people will be even more upset and more vocal when it is not THEIR god that gets put on display with public funding.

17. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Other than government, where is religion banned? i see religion in all of those places you've mentioned. If our Founding Fathers really meant to say that Christianity is our national religion, but no particular denomination, then why didn't they just write it that way? Do you really think that they made it intentionally vague so that we could fight over it two hundred years later?

Even IF it was meant the way you describe, we would be in very serious trouble. As I stated in my previous post, our country will only get more diverse. I think now would be a great time to either clear up any confusion with the Second Amendment or make a new Amendment which clarifies ambiguous things found in the Constitution. Heck, why not rewrite the entire Constitution? Are we allowed to do that?

By the way, I think now would be a great time to declare English as the official language. Am I a hypocrite for thinking there should be no official religion but there should be an official language? I have always felt strongly about both of those issues, and my stance on one does not influence my stance on the other. Oh well. :)

18. EMIG

EMIG Yup

Did you mean the First Amendment? I didn't know that the religious right took any position on gun control. Then again, I don't know much about the religious right...

19. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Oh my Zod, I can't believe I messed those two up! Thanks for pointing that out. I meant the First Amendment. Argh.

20. pupowski

pupowski Banned

Electro-shock might get you further ahead by resolving refractory depression. It is unilobar , highly specific, and reasonably effective, particularly in cases where medication fails. I did pre and post op for the procedure at a large medical center, and assessed hundreds of patients. It's no panacea, but it is a viable treatment or adjunct for those who meet the criteria.