1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fake Winamp email with viruses

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by claire, Dec 18, 2002.

1. claire

claire Registered User

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

It has come to our attention that someone out there is sending around virus attached emails in the name of Winamp. To put it lightly...we are sorely pissed about this.
    This email states that we are starting a new service of mailing Winamp3 skins directly to our users. Trust me when I say that we will never do this!!!! The only mail that we send out is our Winamp Newsletter and YOU have to explicitly ask for it.

Please do not open any attachements sent to you from a Winamp address unless you know for sure that it is legitimate. We will never mail you an unsolicited file.

We apologize upfront to anyone who has been decieved by this fraudulent mail. We at Nullsoft take our customer relations very seriously and we are doing everything we can to protect ourselves and our users from such things in the future.

Much llama love,

The Winamp Team

Gotta love the humor.

3. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

I personally don't like or use Winamp, but it still amazes me the amount of people who will blindly open attachments and believe this stuff.

4. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Whats up with the flood of virus lately???

must be Christmas cheer....

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

A lot of unemployed developers. This is precisely how the whole thing started in Bulgaria.

6. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

mrRT, I read about this in the Lockergnome newsletter too. The guy's theory is that people are opening their Christmas presents a little early...