1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook fires a full broadside in the encryption debate

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by Biker, Apr 8, 2016.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

WhatsApp Rolls Out End-To-End Encryption to its Over One Billion Users

As much as I despise Facebook, I do have to applaud the audacity of this move. What they've done in one fell swoop is make encryption easy for everyone who uses their service. And this is the type of thing that's needed in order for users to use encryption in an easy to use format that doesn't entail a lot of work. This is why PGP never really took off as it's a royal pain in the hind end for users to set up and use.

I personally use Signal for text messaging, and it's pretty darned easy to use.

SixofNine likes this.
  2. Biker

Ruh roh. WhatsApp may not be as secure as it's touted to be.

WhatsApp backdoor allows snooping on encrypted messages

And it's been like this for a long time, too. Gotta love their response. NOT!

In other words, even though they've known about this for months and months they're going to spin the app as still being secure.

So, until this is fixed, if you're using WhatsApp with security in mind, dump it. Signal is far better in that regard without the vulnerabilities that WhatsApp has baked into the application.

3. Allene

Allene Registered User

Typical! I try not to use any apps at all.

4. Biker

There are some applications for your phone that are definitely good (and even recommended). For example, I use Signal for text messaging over the default SMS on the phone. Truecaller is another app that's highly recommended, although I'm still on the fence as to whether I'm going to keep it on my phone or not. Truecaller identifies incoming calls that have been reported as "spam/scammer" calls and gives you the ability to block numbers. Unfortunately, my Sony phone doesn't have that feature (call blocking) baked in like HTC, LG and Samsung do so I have to resort to a 3rd party application to do it for me.

5. Allene

Allene Registered User

I'm on an iPhone. I don't use voice, just text, and when I get the odd incoming voice call, I just delete it. What does Signal do for you?

6. Biker

Signal is a secure text messaging app. If you and the recipient are using it, there's no way for it to be intercepted.

7. Allene

Allene Registered User

I see. My text messages would put the average person to sleep, except for the one time I told Ed that I was at WalMart stealing art. That was fake news from iPhone's spellchecker. It goes on a real trip sometimes. :)