1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Facebook: Don't put personal info in your profile

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by ethics, Apr 21, 2010.

1. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

:rofl: some big soccer game. My hubby is a huge soccer fan..used to play, but down in my area there really aren't too many, as you can imagine.
    The other night I was going to film the patrons at the bar I was at and put it on youtube. I could have made a fortune selling corn cobs pipes, teeth and very large bras. :rofl:

2. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Thread rez.

My family finally dragged me into Facebook. What do you recommend for decent privacy settings without becoming completely invisible?

facebook_directory_settings.jpg

facebook_privacy_settings.jpg

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Shoot the cretin who talked you into it and delete the account. :D

4. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Here are my settings. I may be a little more public.

Attached Files:

5. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I hear ya. :D Lots of ad hoc family communications going on there, so I decided to take the plunge.

Thanks, Bob.

6. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

I don't worry about it much, but I do not publicize my birthday or any of my numbers. Name and DOB is enough to get into your monetary world, as with that, databases with your SSN can pinpoint you. After that, the sky is the limit. Name alone is not typically enough to get into that world.

I have less to worry about though, as if any stalker types wanted to come after me, I tend to have the advantage of my profession (and subsequent armory) protecting me. We've had that happen before, years ago, and the guy was not happy with the result. He didn't go to jail, but I imagine he did need a new pair of underwear, and we never saw him again.

7. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

I have everything set to either "Friends Only" or "Only Me" depending on the item.

It really depends on what you plan on sharing. If you end up creating albums to post pictures, make sure you check the setting on each and every album as there is no universal setting for all albums.

8. Allene

Allene Registered User

I already had a very lean Facebook page, but the other day I took out all the photos and shut down the wall after somebody I know had her account hacked. Whoever did it then selected one of her photos and sent out a plea for $10,000 to all her friends. It isn't worth it. I'm just keeping mine open so I can go to a couple of places that I'm expected to appear at once in a while.

9. Advocat

Advocat Viral Memes a Speciality Staff Member

First, never, ever click on odd messages from "friends", notices which say "look at this", etc. I avoid playing any FB game or using any funny app (apps for Twitter and LinkedIn, etc are okay... ones which promise to tell you who your biggest fans are, are dangerous); far too many have been hacked, or are actually designed to inject a hack into your system to get your password

For extra security, create a new category under Friends. Call it Unknowns, or whatever.

Click: Account > Privacy > Customize settings.

For each item you want to share with close friends, but not the Unknowns, click on the settings button to the right of that item.

Select and click on Customize

Under Make this Visible to, select Friends Only

Under Hide this From, type in the name of your Unknown group

Click save settings. You'll be back on the Privacy page; the button beside your item will say Custom. Refresh the page and you'll see it now says Friends Only, Except Unknowns

10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Randy, all of the Zynga games (Farmville, Cafe World, etc...) have their own messaging system where you don't have to click on anything except the links of the games.

11. Allene

Allene Registered User

Thanks. Excellent advice for those who use FB a lot and who play games. I've never used it much.