1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EverCrack

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ethics, Nov 24, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

"EverQuest is the worst thing that ever happened to [Tommy], a literal curse, a drug that eats away at every drop of energy and initiative."

Ben Stein's(yes, that same Ben Stein) son Tommy loved 'his goddamned EverQuest. He played it so much, in fact, that he quit going to school. In response, Ben sent Tommy to a boarding school that was 3,000 miles away.

Can games like EQ be addictive in a bad way?

Full Story

2. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Been there, done that. Luckily, I was able to pull myself out of the oblivion that was Ultima Online. I played it for what seemed like an eternity, but I was strong enough to quit.

3. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Haven't there already been like 2 cases of people dropping dead because they spent something like 86 hours straight glued to the computer, playing EQ?

I believe it was 20/20 that had a segment about EQ - they had this one guy who spent about 10 hours a day playing it, every day, for the last 4 years. He even admitted that he's missed out a lot with his young daughters - missed a lot of first's... but that he won't quit EQ until he's ready, and he doesn't think he's addicted.

I dunno about that - 10 hours a day on a game seems pretty addicted to me.

4. ethics

Wow, I wish I had the money to support myself so I can at least have 10 hours to myself. I wouldn't play EQ -- I can't take more than 20 minutes straight anymore-- but it's nice to have that kind of time.

As for deaths? Statistically, that's actually lower than part of people dropping dead of doing something else.

5. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I agree. Two deaths is statistically insignificant. People who want to make Sony liable for those deaths are the same people who probably thought that D&D made people satanic.

Two deaths out of how many registered players? Cars kill way more people, so let's ban cars first. I agree that many people are addicted to games like EQ, but it's not Sony's fault that their game is so intrigueing to so many people. There are lots of other issues I would worry about before addressing the EverCrack problem.

P. S.: I thought EQ sucked when I played it a few years ago. I thought Ultima Online was way better. I'm sure EQ has gotten lots of updates, and it's not really even the same game anymore. I think I'll hold out for EQ 2, though. It looks sweeeeeeet.

6. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

Been there on this one too... I usually get to see the kids 2 times each yr. Kinda sux but we try to make the best of it..Anyway, my 17yr old is onto EQ and since the kids don't have access to Internet at their Moms home (I know...hard to believe)...I try to let them use the network here as much as possible especially with a broadband connection. I found that my son just would not got off the EQ game. I mean here was on the thing for hours on end. I mean finally Sandy and I had to ste time limits for usage. Of course he did not appreciate that...but oh well

so yeah I hear ya's when you talk about how into you can get.

7. ethics

Well, at least it wasn't as bad as he didn't stop even after limits were set.

My 12 year old tried to get in to EQ but never did. She liked level 1 through 4 and gave all of the twinkage I gave her to others (DOH!)...