1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ever wonder why...

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by joseftu, Jul 14, 2010.

1. joseftu

joseftu ORIGINAL Pomp-Dumpster

..liberal voices in this forum have pretty much disappeared? I don't wonder. The answer is obvious. And now there are even fewer, as of today.

My last post in the NAACP thread will be, other than this one, my last post here.

I will miss many of you, and miss this forum. But I'm not going to be missing what it is now, because it is not what it used to be. I'm not going to name names, but there is a small group of people who really need to be reined in, and the rest of the membership, whether because they approve of their tactics, or because they agree, or because they are afraid of them, or because they don't think it's so big a deal, or whatever other reason, has refused to do that.

I can't continue in a place where the kind of behavior we've seen from a few members, consistently, over a long period of time, is tolerated and accepted.

The decline in civility, the tolerance of piling on and ad hominem attacks, has reached a point where it's no longer enjoyable, illuminating, or tolerable to be here. I don't want to name names, as I said, but I don't want to mince words, either. I know that I have been far from a perfect member myself, but I have not been the villain, the instigator, or the offender. Again and again I have struggled to make reasoned, nuanced arguments, to point out ways that arguments and discussion could be sharpened, or to bring voices, knowledge, experience, perspectives and opinions that are not being heard. But that is not what a vocal and unrestrained group of members of the forum want, and I'm finished trying to provide it.

To those of you (again, I won't name names) who are sincere and intelligent and reasonable and respectful (and yes, I think you are the majority), even in disagreeing, I offer my thanks for some great years and I wish you all the best. Hell, I wish the best to all of you, in fact. I am reachable in a number of different ways, still, of course, and of course I welcome hearing from any of you. Just not in this forum.

In case there's any doubt about what I'm saying, let me be as clear as possible. Due to persistent violations of rules 1, 4, and 6 by a group of members whose behavior has been tolerated and even encouraged by the admins, mods, and perhaps the forum as a whole, I am invoking rule 12.

I am so stating.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

I will say this, you've been laying in to people as much as you accuse others of doing (the capper for me is your accusation to SJ as trolling, when he had a legitimate question.) But when you get called out you throw tantrums and leave?

The forum hasn't changed, you have. I sincerely miss the old Joe, I won't miss this one.

Good luck and thanks for years of debate.

3. Arc

Arc Full Member

All that ethics said ditto from me plus also an emphasis from me on "Good luck and thanks for years of debate." Thumbs up for your skill, eloquence and talents as a writer.

4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

It's obvious to me that the pressure felt by the purely partisan left is getting intense, and rightfully so. When Bush was in power, it was easy to sit back and make all kinds of hell, finger pointing, blame slinging. Now that the left has made all kinds of promises and obtained all kinds of power, like the Iranians who will have a nuclear bomb someday, they now have no idea what to do with it, and no way to deliver all those promises. And instead of actually addressing problems, they've got to resort to the only thing they actually know how to do. Finger pointing.

Like saying it was the Republican's fault they can't get anything done, when they had a super-majority.

Oh no, it's a big grownup world!

How can one be against racism and for someone who attended Reverend Jeremiah Wright's church? How can someone be in favor of America and support those destroying it with outrageous deficits? The conflicts are so immense they defy any form of logic. Frankly, it borders on mental deficiency.

I'll eat my hat if the leftists members here, who accuse most of us of partisanship, have ever voted for a candidate who was not a Democrat.

The height of arrogance was someone recently telling us that he hung around here because he felt he was slowly making progress educating us. (Ethics capper was Sir J, this was the capper for me.) Honestly, if anyone is here to try to educate all of US, as opposed to broaden THEIR world, I have one word of advice for you.

Bye.

5. cdw

cdw Ahhhh...the good life.

*sigh* The best to ya Joe. Don't know what to say about anything since I haven't been around either. I don't know why you just don't put the people annoying you on ignore for a bit and take a rest, but, you ain't me. :)

Be well.

6. Sir Joseph

Sir Joseph Registered User

Huh? (maybe I'm dense, but I don't know what that means.)

Joe,
    You will be missed, but honestly, you come out fighting and then when people start to defend themselves you get all huffy and it just doesn't or shouldn't work like that in the real world.

7. ethics

To clarify, the post where you asked a question on taxes and he accused you of trolling.

8. Sir Joseph

Ah, got it now. I just don't understand how people see this as a race issue. It's 100% a MONEY issue. That is all there is to it.

9. ethics

I've already said what there need to be. I think we all need to move on from this. Don't blame yourself though, I think you carried yourself well in that thread.

10. Sir Joseph

I know, and honestly, he will be missed, even if I didn't agree with him on many points, it's still good to see how the other side thinks. And I am man enough to admit that based on my participation in online debates/forums, I have changed my opinions. I am in another forum, a more religious related forum, and as Ethics can testify, you have one question, and you'll have 5 different answers and it's good to see other opinions and views and I think this is what is great about this forum. All views are encouraged BUT you have to be able to back it up.

11. Brazbit

Brazbit Nah... It can't be.

I am going to miss reading Joseftu as JoeSTFU. That one always made me smirk.

Always sad to see a member leave. Well maybe not always but most of the time. At least once in a while. whatever....

12. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

Oh Joe. Where are you? Come on Joe. Come out. We love you but you gotta stop losing it with us. Well, I understand the situation perfectly. Sorry I missed this one with all that's gone on here in life. Joe, quitters never win.