1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Essay by a teacher in a black high school

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Biker, Jul 19, 2013.

1. megaman_zer0

megaman_zer0 Member

but GI was able to reach his kids what is he doing that the other teacher isn't?

2. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Human beings are such a dynamic, that it's very difficult to answer that question. Maybe nothing. Maybe many things. Maybe what one teacher was doing doesn't work for other areas, where children are more out of control, more influenced from the outside.

But to make an abstract derivation that the teacher was racist from this teacher's observations - over a couple of decades - isn't exactly ingenuous.

The fact is, there are school districts and parts of the country that are plain out of control. This isn't even debatable. Yet they still employ teachers, hundreds or thousands of them, who apparently fail the same way you think this teacher failed. Because there are still many thousands of students graduating who can't read and write.

So let me ask you... And let me ask GI... Do black students act differently than white students? Do black students generally put the emphasis on education that white students do? Generally? All things being the same, do black students place the same emphasis on education that whites do?

3. megaman_zer0

megaman_zer0 Member

no but this is not exclusive to African american students it is characteristic of a lower socioeconomic class. richer well off Blacks don't act the same way. but if what you also say is true why are these children allowed to graduate without being able to pass a reading or writing test? isn't that a symptom of the system giving up on the students instead of spending the time needed to break the cycle.

4. Copzilla

Not exactly true there, megaman. Black students in same schools, same teachers, same systems, routinely underperform white students. Even among same economic classes. I think it has less to do with economics and more to do with sociological issues - namely culture.

Did you know that black kids rag on other black kids who do well in school, saying they're "too white"?

It is a black cultural issue, that is rejecting education, and glorifying all the wrong things. If we're talking truth, if you want an actual dialogue about what is plaguing black America, that is it, right there.

The way out MUST come from within. That's not whitey failing black children. That is the destruction of the family structure, by rewarding bad behavior with government incentives to single parents, by the entertainment industry polluting their minds, by race baiters telling them they're victims, by many many of the absolute wrong influences.

I once said on this forum - and I was called a racist for it by a couple of members - that if a group envies another group, and is being outperformed by another group, the way to succeed is not to take from that other group, but to emulate that other group. I said blacks need to learn this, and be told this. LOOK AT WHAT SUCCEEDS AND DO IT.

Our nation is perpetuating a cycle of poverty and crime by simply supporting it.

5. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

This is indicative of a system, perpetuated by the local and federal government, to fake the numbers so that all important tax money comes rolling in. If the school is ranked as under performing by a high number of dropouts, you don't get those extra tax dollars.

How many of those illiterate graduates would have dropped out if they were held back instead of passed to the next higher grade? Either way, you still have an illiterate student and with the school graduating them instead of failing them, they get the money.

6. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Do you know this individual personally? He SAYS he was able to reach his kids, the same way the writer of the OP SAYS he/she tried to reach his/her class, but failed. You're instantly willing to condemn the OP, but believe everything GI says, based on apparently unverified attestation alone?

7. megaman_zer0

megaman_zer0 Member

I trust him enough to beleive him he has been on youtube forever. of course there is no way for me to verify if what he is saying is true but neither do we have information to verify weather what the teacher here said.

8. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Now THIS is dialogue. Very good thread, folks. Love the fact that no one is getting personal and actually debating a VERY difficult and complex issue.

tke711 likes this.
  9. Sierra Mike

Eminently acceptable. Regrettably though, having lived a pretty good long while despite a life of twisted debauchery, what the OP describes is exactly what I personally witnessed in the 1970s. Despite having literally billions thrown at an underachieving class of society, it appears to have done absolutely nothing. Mounting evidence leads me to believe that this set of circumstances has in fact been caused by propping up said underachieving class and leaving them with no desire to better themselves through--sigh--hard work and dedication.

10. Sierra Mike

Go fuck yourself and put away your pom-poms. If you're going to act the part of a cheerleader, at least shave your fucking legs. :D

11. ethics

LOL! I love you too.

12. Copzilla

I witness this even now.

Now here in Texas, we're not as entirely eaten up with stupid as many parts of the country, but many of the things the teacher in the OP describes I know personally to be true. So it's hard for me at least to discount this teacher as "one of the most racist things every written" type of discredits, as our most recent guests have done.

For example, I know for a fact that it is a cultural phenomenon that blacks start off any argument with the shout-down mentality. This frequently brings a whole world of hurt down on themselves that they could have easily avoided, and it's not because of racism. Gotta simply bring the volume down up front. The rest of the world doesn't work like that.

Now one might argue that the rest of the world needs to understand and adapt to this from blacks... I reject that notion in its entirety, because shouting-down to start an argument is not civilized, and is not any kind of positive character trait that the rest of the world should accept at all.

I know for a fact that black families in general do not put emphasis on education, and this tends to translate to the children. This is a majority of the reason black children underperform white children. It's ALSO why Asian children tend to outperform white children, because the emphasis in Asian families toward education is significant.

13. Sierra Mike

But I know plenty of stupid Asian people! How racist of you to cling to a POSITIVE stereotype! :D

14. Copzilla

You mean like calling blacks better athletes? Didn't we already see that one? lol

15. Grappling Ignorance

Grappling Ignorance New Member

It has nothing to do with this topic. I post videos on that channel about a range of topics that are controversial and would be a distraction to my students to do so non-anonymously. It's easy to sit behind a keyboard and type that you should say what you believe even if it gets you fired, but it's a downright stupid thing to say. It's unpractical to forfeit employment just to say "Yup, I said what I wanted to on-line non-anonymously!" For the record, I'm not ashamed of any of my positions and I have no problem stating them publically if asked, but putting videos on youtube is different from that, especially in a time when every group of students has several smartphones within it that can access a youtube channel at any time.

I'm not hiding and giving my opinion on this matter. What my face looks like has no bearing on what I have to say here- it's utterly irrelevant. There's no reason to upload this video on a separate account just to show my face. Again, even uploading this video, in which I chose to use profanity to the internet where students can find it, would be unprofessional. It's best to do so on this channel, on which I regularly upload content concerning education, and that has over 21,000 subscribers. it doesn't make sense to go out of my way only to ensure the video would be seen by fewer people as you suggest. I hope that clears up your questions.

ethics likes this.
  16. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

I agree that this has more to do with socioeconomic class. I have tutored elementary children to read in my old elementary school in Lansing (fairly middle class, and melting pot) and elementary children in inner city Detroit (low income, 99.9% black). The black children I tutored in Lansing were much more well behaved than the ones in Detroit. There was a huge difference in their home lives. Lansing had few broken homes. I was actually forewarned about how many of the children from Detroit were in broken homes before I started there. Either way, I did the best job I could at both places and they were the most fun jobs I ever had. It felt really great when I could get through to the children and see the spark of them going from being disinterested to really being happy and interested to simply learn. You might be surprised how well any child can improve once they have somebody around that can get through to them. I was very lucky to have family that was very interested in helping me learn when I was a child.

Allene, ethics and SixofNine like this.
  17. ethics

Yep, thanks for clarifying.

18. Kluge

Kluge Observing your world for over 50 years

http://denver.cbslocal.com/2013/07/...-kids-interested-in-engineering-science-math/

There was about 5% females in my college engineering classes. They didn't dance in the front of the class, though, not even the black ones.
    You know I'm not black but in my neighborhood there was nobody else my age interested in calculus. The nearest A student was a girl about 3 blocks away, more upscale, and she tried going to a regional catholic high school for 1 year. Pretty much all the other A students were more upscale. So you come home from school and either go "normal" or you isolate yourself. And it's a demographic thing, not so much a race thing, although if you had any excuse to travel the extra miles, forego nearby friends and accept your limited choices when it came to other A students, you could interact with others who said yes instead of yeah, and so on.
    The OP essayist from "a black high school" neglects the effect of being a minority (as in the case of his/her white studennts) as it affects the students choices of study habits and their expectations for success for any given behavior pattern.