1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Essay by a teacher in a black high school

Discussion in 'Society and Culture' started by Biker, Jul 19, 2013.

1. William

William New Member

Nothing, it's just the reason he hides his face -- he already faced being fired for his videos once and he doesn't want to stop making them, so he makes himself unrecognizable. He's giving his opinion because he's a teacher who (as he states) has spent much of his career teaching poor black kids. Plus, he doesn't like racism.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Understood. I don't think most people like racism. Was this essay by the teacher racism? Or his interpretation of the CULTURE of Blacks in schools?

Racism is a silly label. It's mostly that there are genetic and racial differences which -- really -- who subscribes to that aside from really uneducated people.

Now differences in cultural? Let us discuss and debate on those merits, shall we? Are there differences in culture (on average) between whites and blacks?

3. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Cannot deny the appearance of racism in the essay. However the essay is a conclusion drawn by the teacher after a period of teaching. What were the teacher's expectations at the beginning? Was the apparent racism the result of preconceived notions of racism or the result of experience?

I will concede one poster's point that culture is what teaches young people the language and the manners that are learned at home and then displayed in school. The takeaway I got from that in the essay is that the language and manners displayed by the blacks will hinder them in their search for jobs after school. Most of my company's employees are engaged in support for software over the telephone and good speech and manners are as essential as knowledge of the subject.

One can focus on perceived racism on the part of the author or one can look at disturbing points that are made. And unless one says the author blatantly lied then one has to conclude that the blacks attending that school will be unemployed stats instead of examples for their community to follow.

When I do business where I talk one on one with order takers or support I often shake my head when I cannot understand the people on the other end. Education and learning and using the language of business are essentials to employment. Not allowing yourself to be dissed will not get you past the interview for real jobs.

4. William

William New Member

Was this essay racist? YES, a thousand times YES! He *outright* states that black people are dumber than whites, that they are all violent and uninterested in education. He ascribes EVERYTHING he doesn't like or understand to their race and nothing else. Promiscuous teenagers? Because they're black. Fighting? Because they're black. Concerns over racism? Because they're black. He even uses the old "think of the poor little white girls" argument that racists *love* near the end. Look to my main comment on this thread to see some of the numerous ways he was blatantly racist (AND terrible at his job, if it's even true).
    And yes there ARE differences between black and white culture (just like there are culutral differences among white people in different regions), but he isn't talking about a culture, he is just ascribing everything to their race. Hell, most of what he points out has more to do with poverty than anything else. The real differences are hardly insurmountable for a half-competent teacher, they just require that one learns something about the culture to better interact with students -- the same way that a good teacher is supposed to understand ALL of their students.

5. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Labels are a lot easier than rational discussion.

6. MemphisMark

MemphisMark Old school Conservative

As someone who lives in a city that is >75% black, I see exactly what the article talks about EVERY DAY. I see the city council divided along racial lines 80+% of the time.

I see blacks who are ignorant and proudly so. I also see those blacks who have escaped that mindset. The blacks who are productive are just as disgusted about the slackers as I am.

7. hellball

hellball New Member

all of the problems he listed as being because they were black are common place amongst...wait for it...the poor and impoverished, not blacks.

damonlab likes this.
  8. ethics

Ok, but there ARE cultural differences among white poor and black poor, are there not? Off the top of my head and these are statistics:

1. Blacks have a higher rate of fatherless homes than whites (even Obama went after this).
    2. Blacks have higher crime rate, per capita, than whites. That's a given answer by wikianswers.

Many people point to Poverty as the driving reason, yet when the actual numbers of people are examined - the "African American Total Population in Poverty' is smaller than the "Caucasian Population in Poverty". Comparing both groups (impoverished) Caucasian vs. African American? Of Total crimes committed Caucasians commit more than African Americans.

What the statistic alludes to is that "within their own group" African American have a higher percentage than other races, even though more crimes are committed by Caucasians than by blacks.

The reason may be more socially driven rather than poverty driven. I.e., are socially exposed to it more than other similarly situated populations.

3. Blacks are generally less likely than whites to attend or participate in cultural activities such as the theater, opera, art, or ballet. The higher education gap between the races explains some of the differences. But even among blacks and whites with a college education, a significant cultural gap exists.
    I can go on if you want me to, there's a lot of differences socially and culturally. Race has nothing to do with it.
    Simply labeling people as racists is not dialogue. Putting something like you did that you would line up anyone who agrees with the teacher and shoot them is... I don't know, help me out here.

9. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

Asinine? Low-brow? An award-winning example of failed critical thinking among the innernets crowd?

10. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Is not only ridiculous, but is deep denial that there is a very real cultural problem that exists in the black world.

We will NEVER be able to address the problem until it is properly identified. And it's not "bad ol' whitey" that is the problem. It is a cultural failing within the black community. When 70% of black babies are born out of wedlock, when black men are committing a disproportionate amount of violent crimes, when black high school dropout rates are sky high, yet record amounts of money is being pumped into the community to fight this problem, then the problem is the culture. And the more it is denied, the longer and worse the problem will become.

Blacks need a real leader. Obama had this opportunity, and he has failed miserably.

God bless Benjamin Carson. I hope he's our next president, and can right the failings of the leftists in office now.

11. ethics

The good and positive thing I see, and I have not in the last 30 years, is that I see a lot of Black leadership out there. Mia Love, Eric Deggans, Nikki Haley, Michael Berry, Michael Steel, Gloria Cain... hell, too many to list. And that's promising.

12. Copzilla

Honestly, I believe that essay. And I do not think it's racist. I think that it properly identifies many real problems that exist, and that makes some people so mad that they can't consider what the essay is actually saying. I mean look - Even Bill Cosby, no fan of white people is he, says black kids are pretty much useless.

I think the teacher isn't racist because that teacher's opinions are not based on preconceived notions, but based on factual experience. It's not racist to say that blacks shout over each other, something that even the dimmest white students do not do. That is a very real cultural thing. Anyone who studies cultural diversity understands this. But it's very easy to simply say that's racist - It's not so easy to refute that it actually happens. What then?

If that actually occurs, what then?

If the truth is that the schools hide black crime in order to skew statistics, what then?

If schools pass black students who don't deserve to pass, who then go on to have trouble passing entrance exams to jobs programs, what then?

How racist is this teacher then? If the things mentioned are actually true?

You know what is racist? Our society that won't tell the truth about what the problem is. Our media that makes a huge ordeal when a historically non-biased hispanic kills a black thug, but then doesn't nationally report the vast amount of black on white crime, yes, even murders, in retaliation. Our society that still has people who want to convict the Duke Lacrosse team. Our society that demands "justice" for Trayvon, when by saying justice they mean revenge.

Our society is racist. It's racist by thinking blacks need to be coddled, and not told their kids are acting like complete idiots in school.

Sierra Mike likes this.
  13. megaman_zer0

megaman_zer0 Member

I think you should watch grappling ignorance's response video he is a teacher and makes some very good counter points I know the video is an hour long but its definitely worth watching.

14. Sierra Mike

You realize the person who wrote this is not (as far as I know) a member of this forum, right?

15. Sierra Mike

I think we've all watched it at this point, and as noted in posts above, he does make some excellent points.

16. megaman_zer0

megaman_zer0 Member

well then If you did watch it regardless of weather or not we think this person is racist or not we should all agree that she(?) isn't a very good teacher and could have tried a lot harder to actually have an impact in these children's lives

Edit:at least that is what I gather from this whole situation. these kids need good role models to look up to and the teacher missed a chance to be that person.

17. Copzilla

DID the teacher miss that chance? DID the teacher not make an effort? Seems like you're drawing an awful lot of unsupported conclusions from what the teacher is telling you.

To me, this illustrates the real problem. You're blaming the teacher... Never place blame where it could possibly be deemed as racist, eh?

18. Sierra Mike

Gotta side with CopZ on this one. I haven't been in high school since 1980, but what was reported in the OP was very much the case even back then. If things haven't changed all that much, I'm going to have to lean toward the students being overtly hostile and unwilling to bootstrap themselves.

19. megaman_zer0

megaman_zer0 Member

and you just drew a conclusion from what I said without any evidence as to weather or not I even care about the racial BS in this country.
    look I'll admit that there are real problems in the black community but it is something that is not easily solved it is a vicious cycle perpetuated by the lack of education. the last thing we need is teachers with this kind of attitude towards teaching. and mike if they have nothing to bootstrap themselves toward why would you thing they are going to care about education?. it is the job of the teacher to get them excited and wanting to learn. teaching is by no means an easy job, nor is it for everyone and as GI's video pointed out this person missed a lot of chances to educate these children.

20. Sierra Mike

Actually, I believe the individual who penned the OP said the exact same thing, and his/her conclusion was, in that circumstance, there was just no reaching those kids. I've been around the block a couple of times, and I can certainly understand that point.