1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

eSim

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Oct 10, 2017.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Being that the last thread here is from April, 2016, trying to infuse some life here.

So let's talk esims inside our new phones. What? No new phones have them? Lies! I think it's a game changer for someone like me. Yes, I am one of those idiots who walks around with 2 phones (1 iPhone 1 Android) and the constant swapping in and out of the phones was getting old. Love this, since I also have Project FI but I hope it expands in to other providers/phones.

Look, Ma, no SIM card!

2. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

$10 per GB for data?!!!! Are you daft?! My monthly bill for that would be over 300 bucks a month! What a #@)(&* ripoff!

3. ethics

For Project FI? I use less than 3GB. Most of my music is downloaded due to my commute being underground and not getting any reception.

4. Biker

LOL! My phone is my modem. I have unlimited data on my plan and average around 30GB per month (sometimes a bit more).

I was seriously thinking of getting a Google phone as my next phone purchase until I saw the data gouging they're hitting the users with. NOPE!

5. ethics

LOL. You can use their phone for other providers.

6. Biker

OK. The more I look at the Pixel 2, the more I'm intrigued.

Leon, how do you like the phone so far?

7. ethics

Best phone out there. I can't comment on iPhone X as I don't have it, but Pixel 2 is amazing.

Definitely has the best pictures out there, even including iPhone X -- not by a lot but still king of the hill.

BUT and this is my opinion. It's not worth the money. I would put it somewhere around 650 price mark. Then again, most phones out there are not worth it.

Best bang for the buck today is HTC U11. Get it used (but excellent condition) on eBay or Swappa for under 500.

8. Biker

Hmmmm. Just tripped across one of the features that almost makes it a deal breaker. The screen is always on? Can't turn it off at all?

My Sony can last for around 2-3 days in standby mode. Considering I have no way of being able to charge the phone while at work without leaving it "unattended", I have to wonder how much of a battery drain results from this **cough** feature.

As for the iPhone, it'll be a cold day in hell before I own one.

9. ethics

Always On Display CAN be turned off. I actually hate that option and have turned it off. The phone's battery is like no other phone today.