1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Equifax Breach

Discussion in 'Economy' started by Biker, Oct 12, 2017.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I'm sure you're all aware of the massive clusterfuck from Equifax.

Equifax reveals hack that likely exposed data of 143 million customers

What made this worse was their site that supposedly was to inform you that you were or were not affected. Lo and behold, the site was nothing more than a sham to get you to subscribe to their premium services. Not to mention, as far as I'm aware, there have been absolutely no personal notifications from the company regarding this breach.

PSA: no matter what, Equifax may tell you you’ve been impacted by the hack

Fast forward to today. Guess what?

Equifax website borked again, this time to redirect to fake Flash update

Seriously?!

Enough is enough. It's bad enough we have an industry that has the consumer over a barrel and politicians are reluctant to reign them in. But to suffer ANOTHER freaking break in just months after a massive data breach is incomprehensible.

As much as I hate government fiddling into business matters, this is one industry that needs to be reigned in, kicked in the ass, and face severe penalties for screwing up like this. The consumer doesn't have a say in how these companies operate. It's high time our elected officials step up to the plate and enact some laws that put the data back into OUR hands, not those that pay for the data.

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Put a freeze on your credit with all 3 bureaus.

3. Arc

Arc Full Member

Identity theft is always an issue or potential risk. Privacy, however, is totally 100 percent dead except for those totally off the grid or with sophisticated multiple identities.

ethics likes this.
  4. Arc

Arc Full Member

5. Arc

Arc Full Member

Agreed. But the credit bureaus have a tough legal firewall in the defense that they only report what is reported to them. If for instance, any info is wrong then the consumer's only practical regress as often as not is take it up with the messenger.

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

7. Susan Addams

Susan Addams Unregistered User

Consider how many person's privacy was breached compared to the population of the US after subtracting out persons under credit worthy age and bums, illegal aliens, prison inmates, etc., and it looks like the chances are that if you are a working person with credit history you have probably about 75% chance you were in the breach.

I said screw it. I joined LifeLock with a premium membership. Got a good AAA discount too. Cost me under $300/year and at least it's not run by Equifax so I'm not paying the perps that caused it.

8. ethics

Been contemplating doing the same. Got bit about 10 years ago when someone took out 12K under my name...

9. Arc

Arc Full Member

I had a great time too. Unfortunately the last of the 12K ran out in Costa Rica. I had a hell of a time getting back into the US by humping it through rebel and or guerrilla areas back to the US border. And then the story I had to spin. Oy vey!

ethics, ShinyTop and dsl987 like this.
  10. damonlab

damonlab Veteran Member

11. Arc

Arc Full Member

What's also interesting is that in signing up for these monitoring and protection service such as the free one via the Equifax Breach and one that is free for the first month from Experian you have to give them your phone number and email address. That naturally will appear on your credit reports.

Now the world has access to your email and phone number via Experian, Equifax, and Trans Union. Does that make you feel less or more secure?

12. ethics

13. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

I kinda look at it in the same light as if they put Kim Jong-un in charge of the Human Rights Commission.

Allene likes this.
  14. ethics

"Selling services" can mean a myriad of things.

15. Susan Addams

Yes it indeed occur to me that now the big 3 credit agencies are breaching our private financial and personal data, and helping stir the pot for the same services they sell to us.

Just note that Lifelock was recently purchased by Symantec, run the same Peter Norton who is the PC security expert who created Norton Internet Defender, my fave anti-virus program, and it's working well.

However I just opened a new bank account at US Bank and have yet to hear a peep from Lifelock. To be fair I have not yet provided Lifelock with all the details of my banking and credit card data, so I may have not given them sufficient information to notice the new account.

They have my SSN, MMN, and you'd think that would be enough to notice a new bank account popping up. In a way it was kind of a test on Lifelock, and I expected them to fail.

When one of the big three credit agencies gets compromised only then do you realize the full extent of the problem. Counting all the major and not so major corporations we all deal with, so many of them having breaches, it's difficult to imagine that they are not part of the problem.

I think we need two things to help defeat the identity theft problem:

(1) Just quit using MMN. You can find anybody's MMN at any genealogy site.

(2) The government should design a SSN v2 with more digits, and allow taxpayers to upgrade to v2 if they have any indication that their SSN has been breached. Like add another digit to our 9 digit system. Instead of nnn-nn-nnnn the new numbers should be nnn-nnn-nnnn. Or maybe even nnnn-nnnn-nnnn. Make the number pool so large it would be impossible to predict numbers.

You know that SSN blocks were issued to specific geographic areas, often 3-4 blocks at a time (the nnn-nn-**** part) and that knowing a person's birth date and location you have a perhaps 3-4 groups of 4 digits to do a classic dictionary attack on.

I signed up mainly for the insurance part. If my identity gets stolen they will spend up to $1M to protect and indemnify me.

16. Susan Addams

Damon, Lifelock has to purchase services from all of the big three credit bureaus. My banks each buy service from at least one of them so I can see my FICO score.

And free offers? You're shitting me! Any time you see a free product it isn't free. If it's free then YOU are the product! Nobody gives away anything in the modern world. If they want to give you free monitoring or free FICO scores then they intend to use your info to market something to you.