1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EQ: Is This Cheating?

Discussion in 'PC/Console Gaming' started by ethics, Dec 1, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

ShowEq is a Linux based program that will...

Oh, just read it yourselves.

I never knew this thing existed. It certainly gives many players an advantage.

2. Paladin

Paladin Have Gun -- Will Travel

Cheating. It is for the wusses that know they are incapable of ever winning fairly.

3. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

That was very interesting, ethics. It reminds me of my UO days and using a few proggies to give me an advantage. I used to preach about how people shouldn't be using them, but eventually I snapped and started using them. Once I was the victim of someone using a program called UOExtreme. One thing it allowed you to do was create a macro for Target Last. It was generally very difficult to target somebody who was moving with a spell, but with UOE, once you targeted them one time, you could just use the Last Target macro. It was a dead giveaway when people were using it on you. Well, one guy used it while fighting me, and I accused him of using it. He laughed and said, "So what. Everyone uses it." Well, I summoned a GM, and he told me to "get over it." Ever since, I started using UOE and another called UO Assist.

Eventually, most of the features of those proggies were incorporated into the general UO interface. Rather than fighting the cheaters on many things, they decided to join them. One of the cooler features of UOE in its early days was the ability to display hidden monsters and people. To combat that feature, GM's would enter the game as hidden monsters, and anybody who targetted them would be exposed as a cheater.

There were so many exploits in UO that I laugh thinking back about all of them. It's pretty sad that programmers must take into consideration that people will cheat given the opportunity. It's just like everything else in life. If you give people an easy way out, they will take it, even if it's at the expense of others.

By the way, I thought the following was hilarious:
    1.11 - I went to the Plane of Hate and saw an invisible mob called "ShowEQ users suck." Have any of you guys seen this?
    Yes, we have and we think it is very funny. We are glad you got a chance to go up to hate and see the special content that is for ShowEQ users only. Be careful not to laugh about it in /gu or /shout or what not.

4. IamZed

IamZed ...

It was a good read. I dont game but some what was in there was amusing. I cant imagine going to that level just to help win a game.

5. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

It's more than a game for many EQers, it's a life. You have no idea how many of them just sit home and play EQ for 20 hours, sleep for 4, and then back on EQ.

6. mrRT

mrRT Tech Mod

I am so glad that will never be a Windows based program....My son would never leave that game alone then...

No Linux here for awhile...hehehehe

;)