1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Enough with nickels and dimes...

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by mikeky, Jan 31, 2003.

1. mikeky

mikeky Member

<small><a href="http://www.kentucky.com/mld/kentucky/news/5071992.htm">said by article</a></small>
    Consider this a rant. Kentucky, after a couple of years awash in revenue, finds itself fallen on hard times, with budget cuts looming. To rectify this problem, it appears the plan is to target specific segments, such as with the increased telecom taxes and a proposed corporate paid payroll type tax. I suppose politically this is the right thing to do, since it minimizes the impact that any particular sector can have on future elections. But I find myself growing weary of this nickel and diming, with a tax on everything but personal greenhouse gas emissions. I would much rather have these shortages addressed with plans that provide real increases in revenue through income tax or sales tax increases, rather than only for the specialized segments, which seem to never quite generate the revenue promised. Alas, I suppose this divide and conquor approach is too entrenched to change, since many seem to have never met a tax they didn't like, as long as they don't have to pay it.

2. saber11

saber11 Veteran Member

Ohio is the same way, in two years we went from a Budget Surplus to a budget deficiet.

Gov Taft has proposed higher taxes on cigarettes, alcohol, and of all things tanning.

Seems they tax things that aren't too "objectionalble" by the majority, but what they forget is when trying to raise money you have to tax the majority.

I know gas prices SUCK, but I'd rather the state have a 1 or 2 cent a gallon increase in gas prices

that way EVERYBODY is getting screwed equally

3. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I agree that it is not fair to tax only minority segments of society to raise revenue which will be used for everyone's benefit. In my opinion, one of the most unfairly(and popularly) taxed items is cigarettes. I don't smoke, but I think it's unfair to target a product which some people are addicted to.

4. mikeky

mikeky Member

A tanning tax? Realistically, how much money will that raise? Probably very little, but who's going to seriously oppose it?

As for tobacco taxes, in general you won't find much opposition there either in most states; it's the perfect sin tax given smoking bans, etc. Surprisingly though, our Governor is politically savvy enough to know that significantly increasing tobacco tax in a major tobacco producing state with lots of smokers won't fly. So instead, we'll tax those evil corporations, and maybe they won't leave the state for somewhere else. Oh boy.

5. Coot

Coot Passed Away January 7, 2010

California is in the same mess. They're claiming a $35 Billion shortfall, yet revenues are up 28%, while population and inflation is up 21%. The real crime here is spending...it's up 36% over 4 years ago and rather than roll the budget back, they choose to cut schools and critical services while leaving their pet projects for campaign contributors in place. They would also like to triple our annual car registration which is already one of the highest in the nation...buy a $30,000 car and expect to pay $560 a year to register it.

6. mikeky

mikeky Member

How timely; arriving in my inbox a little while ago.

Nickels and dimes.

7. Misu

Misu Hey, I saw that.

Holy crap, coot! My truck was about that much, and to renew the registration it costs about 60 bucks here... I can't imagine paying 560!!!

8. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I would like to see a plan for reducing the size of the Government. I do not care who is taxed, I do not want any new taxes. If you don't have the money to spend on your projects, do what I have to do. DON"T BUY AS MUCH. Maybe I am just a simple person, or maybe a pessimist, but I think that just about any Government entity in this country could shave off 10%. Every single one.

Take a look at the government buildings. I mean right now there is a $100,000,000 renovation of the state capitol in Olympia Washington. Why does it need to be marble? Why does the "pretty" capitol building have to come at the expense of text books?

The Labor and Industries Building in Olympia is a very pretty building as well. It has this huge glass round thing in the front that goes all the way up it's 6 stories. To me that is waste.

The state just spent a billion or so dollars to renovate an overpass on I-5 here in Tacoma. It was sorely needed and it definitely helps with traffic. The problem is a pedestrian bridge they built next to it for $20,000,000. It is only 100 yards down from the original pedestrian bridge. The one they are not tearing down. The one that is still fine and actually used more.

Let's take public transportation here in Washington as well. 4-6% of the population use it. 16-20% of the transportation goes to it. That is wrong. The ferries are similar. 2% of commuters use the ferries but they garner 10% of the Transportation Budget. That is wrong.

There is a cosmetology instructor at my old school that makes $80,000/year. That is the pay scale for Tech Schools here. Where could a Barber make that kind of money in the civilian world?

They are just finishing up a trolley/Light Rail/ Whatever system here in tacoma. A Hundred Million Dollars for 1 and 1/2 miles of track that will take you from a full parking garage to a downtown with no parking. They even took parking <i>out</i> to make room for the tracks. Waste of money.

15 Billion dollars for AIDS in Africa? I do not like to see AIDS in Africa any more than the next guy, but do we have the money? It is like donating to the Local Shelter with your Credit Card, not being able to pay, going bankrupt, and hurting the economy even more. We do not have the money.

I wish the Governments would do a better job with the money they have before they start stealing more.

9. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

15 billion for AIDS in Africa is preventive medicine.

10. wapu

wapu Veteran Member

I understand the preventative medicine part, I agree that it is a good cause, but I question whether we have the money. Not even that, I know we as a country have the money, but have we given the government enough money to do it? Not without putting us in debt. Why is the concept of not spending more money than you have so hard for Governments to understand?

11. ShinyTop

Preventive medicine is not something you skimp on. You spend it or people die. I agree with cutting spending. But not on Aids prevention and cures.

12. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Isn't that an Oxymoron?

13. Wacko

Wacko Helllllooo Nurrrse

Here in Sacramento, CA we pay through the nose for our cable television as it is. I hope our Governor doesn't see this, and think it's a good idea here too. I pay $115 a month for digital cable that gives me flash backs to the 70's antenna on the roof. The other day my picture was rolling from the bottom of the screen to the top, and the day before that I had lines. I refuse to pay more for this crap that we get.

This may sound cold, but we are going to give Africa all that money to fight AIDs, but yet we have a problem with it in our own country. Why not use the money to fight AIDS here first before we send it to other countries. While were at it what guarantees do the US citizens have that the money will only be used to help the AIDS victims? Have we forgot that every time we send in aid it tends to get into the wrong hands? How many politicians in Africa will get rich from this? I'm just tired of seeing money squandered that could really help those in need, or maybe I'm one of those pessimistic types.

14. ShinyTop

This article describes new actions by the administation for AIDS.

1. Speeding up fast test for AIDS, test only takes 20 minutes.

2. Increased spending for fighting AIDS in our hemisphere as well as Africa.

3. An increase in AIDS research under the 2004 budget.