1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Encouragement

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by bruzzes, Nov 16, 2002.

1. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

If I had 5000 dollars (of the fake money)
    I would put a sticky at the top of each Forum
    to notify members of the rate button at the bottom of each post.

I am encouraging members to use that funtion, when they find a thoughtful post, an entertaining post or for a particularly clever retort.

It gives the postee 1 dollar.

Since items in the dollar store are a bit expensive, it would behoove us to use this function before some smart-ass actually buys a sticky. Maybe an anti-sticky item can be sold also.
    <small>PLEASE we need to stockpile those anti's;)</small>

2. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

So if I post a sticky telling everyone to vote for Nadar you could un-sticky it? I'm against that. Besides its much mroe fun to change people's titles. (I've come up with a few for a few people...)

3. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

But if everyone starts buying stickies, we'll have stickies all over the place. :)

4. Techie2000

Techie2000 The crowd would sing:

Yeah but if I post a sticky telling everyone to vote Green, and it gets un stickied, someone might not see it...;)

5. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

I'll see your sticky and raise you two un-stickys

Exactly!

And thank you for the perfect reason to have an anti-sticky;)

6. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

I think if we get in competition for stickies and redoing posting tags we will degenerate to a Water Cooler. Just a thought. Both of those options should not be done in haste or with malice.

7. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

Agreed!

Maybe the posting tag can be temporary for a day or two. It should be cheaper if that is the case.

All should be done in fun and comraderie.

8. jamming

jamming Banned

How about a week?

9. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

What a fun idea!!!
    A week sounds good to me...

10. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Stickies have a time frame that I set. Right now, since no one is rich enough to have one, the limit is 0 (no limit). But I can make it disappear as a sticky -- not disappear as a post-- via putting in number of days the sticky's hold for.

11. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

*looks at GA bank account*

I doubt that I will have to worry about purchasing a "sticky"... I'll be lucky to have enough to buy a cup of coffee...

BDD... :{)

12. bruzzes

bruzzes Truthslayer

LOL!

The dollar program is a work in motion.
    It will need to be tweaked now and then and maybe modified a bit as members may recommend changes.

It is a fun element used to increase membership, encourage participation (as in the 7 day moderator position) initiate new posts, thoughtful, clever and entertaining posts etc.

The items ARE expensive for a reason. That is why I encourage the use of the rate button. One only gets a dollar for an approved post. I recommend a liberal use of that function for any post that evokes a thoughtful idea or gets a chuckle.

I, myself, will probably never vote a disapprove post. Even when I am angry at a particular member or get flamed. That's just me tho...

It would be nice to have a visual sign that a post was rated, but then again, it may encourage clique voting which we would all want to DIScourage.

Anyway, I will give you a dollar for a donut to go with your coffee.
    I did get a chuckle from your post.:)

13. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

awwww shucks, bruzzes.. Now I can't plead GA poverty and demand GA welfare!!! ;)

Thanks for taking my GA monetary virginity... LOL

BDD... :{)

14. jamming

jamming Banned

BDD, you keep posting and you will loose the lurker tag ;)

15. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Not sure, but the feature seems to allow multiple votes by the same person (either that or it's not working correctly).

I just encouraged a post by someone. After casting my vote, I didn't see their dollar figure increase, and thought to myself -- "oh damn, did I hit the discourage button by mistake?". So I clicked the rate button again, and it showed that the post was "Not rated yet". So I clicked the encourage button again. This time I did see the dollar figure increase. I then clicked the rate button again, but it still showed "Not rated yet".

So, it's quite possible I voted twice, or my first vote didn't go through for some reason.

16. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

It may have been a glitch Coriolis. Here is the screen I get after rating someone:

17. ethics

Nah, you can't vote twice. I bet your IE security is not allowing the feature to work correctly?

Just a guess.

18. Coriolis

Coriolis Bob's your uncle

Hmmm... :)

19. ethics

Probably voted when I was having database problems. An anomaly.