1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Email Myth?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Dec 9, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

In fact 60 percent of Americans who use e-mail at work receive 10 or fewer messages on an average day, the study released Sunday found. Only 6 percent receive more than 50.

I must be one of the few golly-to-gee-true overwhelmed user then.

The results counter a myth that employees are inundated by e-mail as they are copied in on every response and are continually sent notes requesting something urgent, finding hours quickly disappearing just checking e-mail.

Did they count the spam with this also?

2. midranger4

midranger4 Banned

You and me both Ethics.

In my position at work I *average* thirty or so emails a day.

The first thing I do when I arrive at the office is prioritize my inbox mentally and address the most critical issues first and work my way down to the ones that make absolutely no sense whatsoever.

Btw...I average about twenty voice mails and ten cell phone calls a day as well.

Yes....my job sucks.

3. Paladin

Paladin Have Gun -- Will Travel

As a lowly Tech, my job related e-mails run 2-10/week, depending on if a job is requiring coordination. Corporate spam/newsletters/junk make up about 4-5/day.

4. LissaKay

LissaKay Oh ... Really???

Let's see ... between the hours of 8am and 6:15pm today, when I was finally able to leave my desk, I had received at least 80 ... yes, EIGHTY ... business related emails. Waiting for me, from over the weekend, were 170 emails, but the vast majority were outage notifications. About 20 required attention, mostly updates on escalations that I had been handling the week before.

In addition to the 80 I received today, I got no less than 10 SysAdmin messages notifying me that I had exceeded my 20MB server space limit. There were two corporate emails announcing this, that or the other ... *yawn* and about 5 or 6 personal emails.

5. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I have a very cushy job, but I do tend to get a lot of emails. It's mainly because we track projects online, and any time a change is made to a project assigned to me, I get an email notification. It is quite annoying, but I deal with it. I'd say I average 3-5 emails from coworkers each day and about 10-15 project update notifications. I have yet to receive a single piece of spam at work, mainly because I use my addy strictly for communicating with coworkers and the few outside companies that I deal with.

Where I used to work, I was unable to keep up with emails, phone calls and pages. It was ridiculous, and I am thankful that I am no longer a slave to my communication devices.

6. Domh

Domh Full Member

I have found outlook 2000s filtering tool to be a real help in managing a flood of emails arriving, all about different topics, projects etc.

I have multiple mailboxes in my primary inbox, and filters set to identify and sort by recipient, topic words and subject words.

After some trial and error, its working quite well, showing me which projects im spending alot of time on and which are lagging depending on the amount of communications.

;)