1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Elder Scrolls Online

Discussion in 'MMORPG' started by SixofNine, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

So far, not impressed at all. Servers are totally borked, was kicked out several times during character creation. Finally got in to the starting zone and spent all of 3 minutes in there before booted again. Getting a server full or server offline error.

I don't think these guys are ready for a full blown MMO yet.

Not impressed with game movement, either. WoW has spoiled me as far as using WASD for moving. Not used to using the mouse at all. **sigh** This may be a very short lived beta for me.
  2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

See? That's why I didn't think this was going to be anything. There's not even much buzz about it. Kinda know it will be for a select few.
  3. Biker

This uses WASD for movement, but you STILL have to use the mouse for directional control which I think is asinine. Seems to me they're trying to take the mechanics of a FPS and adapt it to a MMO. Huge turn off for me.
  4. Biker

And got booted again after a couple of minutes trying to figure out how to equip a bow.

This isn't going to end well at all.
  5. ethics

6. Biker

I did enjoy the short time I got to beta Final Fantasy XIV. Problem is I don't think they're going to support it like Blizz supports WoW for content.

I got terribly spoiled with WoW. It was the first MMO I had tried, but it's loosing it's luster. Not surprising after 9 years.

I suspect any MMO we try just isn't going to measure up. Which is a shame. I'd really like to play something new, but everything I've looked at/tried has been either horrid or mediocre at best.
  7. Andy

I haven't logged in in a few weeks, but wait.. WHAT?!?!?!

Patching now to see what the hell they are talking about...
  8. Andy

Still downloading... wth//
  9. ethics

It's not as bad as he described but yeah, skill trees are in. Makes everything a but less complex.
  10. Biker

Got my survey this morning. I was not kind.

Seems the Skyrim crowd is OK with the interface, but the MMO crowd is tearing the game to shreds.
  11. Elspeth

Elspeth Beware the Fire Dragon

yeah i wasn't kind either. I lasted about 10 minutes. I won't be going back
    ethics likes this.
  12. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

13. Andy

I finally got a key yesterday in mail, just created the usual crap to download/play and the download speed is teh suck

less than 1MB/sec and ~20 GB to go....are you freakin kidding me?

Their FAQ sez it may be my connection and to run a speed test, yea right, my 25+MB fiber connection is the problem.

I wonder if I might be able to even get this installed before the beta window slams shut on Monday...
  14. Andy

My take so far...

6+ hours to download yesterday afternoon, only to see a 1.5 hour login queue that was more like 2 hours before I was able to even create a character.

I finally got in really late last night and tooled around a bit, combat system seems a bit convoluted and like I really don't have control over my character other than mashing 1 of 5 buttons or 2 mouse buttons, quest system is obtuse in that half the time you are running around trying to complete a quest of "find missing bla bla bla" there are no clues anywhere that those who are missing cannot even be found in the first place. (you find this out only by watching chat of the tons of other floundering looking fro missing villagers)
    It is actually a ham-fisted method of forcing you to explore the whole island and do more quests for others. The storyline also seemed a bit lacking, as I had no real idea or interest in why I was out doing what I was doing for an NPC other than a shiny pile of gold at the end.

Aside from the queues (I'm typing this as I am looking at another 1.5 hour queue for the last 20 minutes that has not changed) there are serious rubbberbanding issues that have caused my death a few times, or freezing up the UI/game that forces you to log out and back in to yet another login queue.

The final straw is the community, looking in the beta forums for clues or answers as to how to make my experience go better with downloading, UI issues or lag, I am met with the usual foam-mouthed basement dwellers with high post counts telling anyone who dares to ask questions regarding said issues "quit crying" or "you are only here to test not complain" or even worse "get off MY game you new-comers I was here first and you are ruining MY experience causing lag and queues"
    I found this hilarious since apparently according to the "pros" who have been here longer than me, my time to them is only worth being wasted in order to just flood a login queue, (guess what, it sucks!) not actually play and test a game and give my honest feedback.

This is no way to run a railroad, let alone an MMO that costs as much as they will be charging at first, plus a monthly fee.
    Going to be quite a long row to hoe in order for them to scrub this bad taste out of my mouth and convince me to give them any of my cash to play.

Final score, 1 out of 5, and that is just because the actual visuals and atmosphere are sorta stunning.
  15. ethics

Thanks for the review.

There is still nothing to replace EQ or WoW for me. So I am in limbo... Perhaps EverQuest Next will be it. It's looking kick ass.
  16. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Another beta test this weekend, and beta testers received a second "invite a friend" key if you need one.

In the meantime, here's a detailed review of the game that I haven't read yet. :)

Also, here's the woman who composed several bard songs and performs at least one of them in game. According to the youtube comments, a player heard this song in the town of Mistral. Here's her youtube version:

17. Andy

Got one too, unfortunately im already tied up this weekend punching myself in the balls elsewhere to do it here again.
  18. Biker

Well well well.

Doesn't say much for the developers OR company when they allow a bug of this magnitude to make it live.
  19. Andy

Listen to the Beta testers who actually reported this bug a while ago?

The hell you say, they were too busy worrying about trying to piss off as many players as possible by making the login queue worse than it would ever be on launch day.
  20. Biker

From what I'm hearing, the economies are totally fucked at this point. The game went "live" on April 4th, and 2 weeks later, the bug is still in the game.