1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eggplant recipes.....

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Violet1966, Jan 8, 2003.

1. Violet1966

Violet1966 Stand and Deliver Staff Member

I love eggplant and made up pa batch of fried eggplant last night. Sliced it thin with skins on. Egged it up and then dredged it in seasoned bread crumbs and then fried it in oil. Serve it with macaroni with meat sauce or do a parmagiana with it and it's yummy. What I want is some new eggplant recipes. Cold appetizers, new ways to prepare or bake or fry, rolled....anyone have any good recipes they'd like to share? :)

2. Sam

Sam Cute and cuddly!

I haven't tried this one yet but I thought it sounded good. It would probably be even better with 2% milk and regular Motz cheese. Althought the calories would go through the roof if you did that.
    Like I care about calories.:nut:

Eggplant Parmesan Presented by:

Prep: 15 min Cook: 50 min Servings: 4

INGREDIENTS
    1 large beaten egg
    1/4 cup fat-free milk
    1/8 teaspoon pepper
    1 cup crushed saltine crackers (28 crackers)
    1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons dried parsley flakes
    1 medium eggplant, sliced 1/4 inch thick (1 pound total)
    1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
    1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, crushed
    1 clove garlic, minced
    3/4 cup shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (3 ounces)

DIRECTIONS

1. In a small bowl combine egg, milk, and pepper. In another bowl stir together cracker crumbs, Parmesan cheese, and dried parsley flakes.

2. Dip eggplant slices in the milk mixture to coat, then dip both sides in the cracker mixture.

3. Lightly coat a 2-quart rectangular baking dish with cooking spray. Arrange eggplant in dish.

4. In a bowl stir together tomato sauce, oregano, and garlic; pour over eggplant.

5. Bake, covered, in a 350 degree F oven for 40 minutes or until eggplant is tender. Sprinkle with mozzarella cheese. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes more. Makes 4 servings.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION

1 serving:Calories 249;Fat 9g;Cholesterol 85mg;Sodium 1095mg;Carbohydrate 28g;(Protein 15g)

Recipe source: Better Homes and Gardens. Copyright 2002. Meredith Corp.
    http://houseandhome.msn.com

3. Violet1966

Thank you Sam. Will try that one next time I do eggplant :)

4. BigDeputyDog

BigDeputyDog Straight Shootin Admin Staff Member

Easy Eggplant Skillet Dinner

1 lb Ground beef
    1/4 cup Chopped onion
    1 tbsp All-purpose flour
    1 cup (8 ounce) tomato sauce
    3/4 cup Water
    1/4 cup Chopped green pepper
    1 teaspoon Dried oregano
    1 teaspoon chili powder
    1 small Eggplant, cut into 1/2" slices
    1/2 teaspoon Salt
    1/8 teaspoon Pepper
    1 cup (4 ounce) shredded process cheese
    Grated Parmesan cheese, Optional

In a large skillet, brown ground beef with the onions. Stir in flour. Add tomato sauce, water, green pepper, oregano and chili powder.
    Salt and pepper the sliced eggplant. Place on meat mixture; cover & simmer for 15 minutes, or until eggplant is tender. Sprinkle with shredded cheese; cook until melted. Serve with Parmesan.

BDD... :{)

5. Violet1966

Another good one thanks BDD :) Can't wait to try that one too. I like the first because it seems a lot less fattening then the fried eggplant. And your recipe sounds yummy too. I don't do eggplant mixed with other things normally so this will be fun, thanks :)