1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebola in North America?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Biker, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

There will be infections, there will be deaths. The difference is how many.

3. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

Close to home:

UPDATE: 5:56 p.m.
    Inova Loudoun spokesperson Tony Raker said at 5:50 p.m. today that the patient has a "very low probability" for Ebola. Raker said health care officials can't technically say Ebola has been "ruled out" since testing was never performed.

4. Greg

Greg Full Member

I was discussing ebola with a friend who is a health care worker and she pointed out that with expecting 10,000 new cases/month in Africa the amount of ebola virus creates an increased potential to evolve into an airborne spread infection.

As far as weaponizing it, how about a ISIS suicide bomber coming across our unguarded south border, and then just before almost being incapacitated, strap a few sticks of explosive to his/her chest and going to a very crowded area and detonating? The idea is not to harm people by the blast but to blow bio-hazard all over everybody. Chances are nobody would realize the true nature of the attack until the disease is widely spread.

Good enough reason to close at least our border with Mexico? You know, the one that makes a sieve look solid?

5. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

6. ethics

SO NJ and NY FINALLY got a little chutzpah and will now demand quarantine for all IF they had contact with Ebola. This isn't to stop the spread but definitely WILL minimize the risk. Yes, many issues with it, people lie, it's a bit reactionary, what about people coming from Africa, to another state, and THEN coming to NJ/NY, etc... but I believe this is a good step.

A nurse who had recently worked with Ebola patients in West Africa and was placed under quarantine shortly after she landed in Newark on Friday under a new order by the governors of New York and New Jersey has tested negative for the Ebola virus, New Jersey officials said on Saturday.

The nurse, who had no symptoms when she landed at Newark Liberty International Airport but developed a fever while quarantined there, will have additional tests to confirm that finding, the New Jersey Department of Health said in a statement. She was taken to University Hospital in Newark from the airport and will remain under mandatory quarantine for 21 days in accordance with the policy announced late Friday afternoon by Gov. Andrew M. Cuomo of New York and Gov. Chris Christie of New Jersey.

The governors ordered quarantines for all people entering the country through Newark Liberty and Kennedy International Airport if they had direct contact with Ebola patients in Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone....

...Mr. Christie, a Republican, said he and Mr. Cuomo, a Democrat, had decided to take action because the federal guidelines were not strict enough. “We are no longer relying on C.D.C. standards,” he said, referring to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Here's what perplexes me:

On Friday, the White House sidestepped questions about whether a nationwide quarantine of returning health care workers was being considered. Instead, officials defended the procedures the administration has put in place, including enhanced airport screenings and the monitoring of people arriving from Ebola-afflicted countries.

There was immediate concern that the move by New York and New Jersey might have an adverse effect on getting workers to West Africa, where more than 4,500 people have died of the virus and medical workers are in short supply.

Ok, if this was Bush I would be equally outraged. Are the Feds saying they care more about Africans than Americans? Or am I over-reacting?

Edit: Oops, forgot source: http://nyti.ms/1trc4tO

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
  7. Sierra Mike

ethics likes this.
  8. ethics

9. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

This is one of the reasons why I feel it's going to get out of hand. When you have attitudes like this from the health care workers themselves, it won't take much for this to spread because of their arrogance.

jimeez, Allene and ethics like this.
  10. ethics

Looks like both NY and NJ governors yielded to the Feds.

11. Sierra Mike

12. Sierra Mike

13. ethics

I am the last person to flame panic flames but there WILL be deaths here and for Obama to take this side is retardedly stupid.

14. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

She's a real piece of work.

Ebola nurse in Maine rejects home quarantine rules

15. ethics

Anyone named and spelled KACI is all you need to know.

16. Sierra Mike

You know what? It would be fantastic if she DID develop Ebola after all this, so it'll shut her up.

Andy likes this.
  17. Allene

Allene Registered User

Jeepers, let's hope what happens in Maine stays in Maine and that she doesn't cross over to Nova Scotia.

18. Sierra Mike

19. ShinyTop

ShinyTop I know what is right or wrong!

Not sure what standards govern the behavior of health care workers. But logic would demand that among them should be to comply with government orders regarding quarantine and to protect the general public. This doctor and this nurse should have professional review boards reviewing their continued practice.

20. Sierra Mike

Tut-tut, Colonel. Processes, procedures, and regulatory entreaties are issued forth BY the Me Generation, not FOR the Me Generation.

Kind of like how the most liberal cities don't have a lot of affordable housing.