1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebola in North America?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Biker, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

After watching Texas drop the ball, one has to wonder if any other state is prepared for this. Let's face it, the country's track record for keeping lab bugs secure and following procedures is rather dismal.

2. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Had to laugh, last nights episode of csi dealt with this exact topic, only somehow hollywood was able to get a full cdc response on scene in minutes with tents and everything.
    I think whoever the tech expert on that episode was needs to be put in charge of the cdc for reals because the actual real world response didnt even come close.

3. Greg

Greg Full Member

You didn't count the time the screenwriters and editors and produces and directors took to come up with the script, the time the set designers and stage crew took to set it up, the time the actors took to memorize their lines and get the makeup applied, the time the gaffers took to set everything up behind scenes, the director ordering shoots and reshoots, the time the editors spent putting together a coherent episode.

Maybe Obama needs to hire more of those kind of people. After all, everybody in Hollywood loves his ass.

4. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1413326096.596344.jpg

Either someone is going to be fired or

5. Sierra Mike

Sierra Mike The Dude Abides Staff Member

6. Biker

Which has been my point all along. I know it's hard to catch unless you're in direct contact with someone who's showing symptoms. But the actual procedures and responses to actual cases have been dismal. This country isn't prepared for something like this.

7. ethics

I'll cut and paste what I have said elsewhere

Ebola is not as much of a danger as is H1N5 if/when it crosses from birds. Ebola is a very inefficient virus and kills the host way too fast for it to proliferate for a massive impact to our country or our way of life. I've read about it as a kid, I've used to read every MMWR report that came out weekly from CDC on everything.

I am no expert but Ebola is not that big of a deal. It's a media hype and more fear mongering. Closing flights from Liberia is futile as people travel to other points and come here from there. Why isn't there have been a cure by now? As I've mentioned, it's a VERY inefficient disease (HIV, Hepatitis, are much better at proliferation) and the patient zero and subsequents infections have all been in Africa.

That does not take away from what CDC HAS become, I used to be a huge fan when their focus was identify, containment, education - to kill any potential panic -- and it has become what NASA is today. A cutesy, scientifically Federal program that lost it's way along the path.

8. Sierra Mike

Exactly so to all, especially the last part. I guess--hope?--that maybe USAMRIID is the only functional biological assessment and containment center, but of course they can't act here, as they're military.

9. Sierra Mike

10. Biker

Aerosol means liquid does it not, which still falls under the guise of bodily fluids. Goes without saying that if an infected individual coughs or sneezes on you while showing symptoms, the possibility does exist that you could end up with it. Of course, everyone's going to key on "airborne" and panic.

11. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Coughing and sneezing are not symptoms of the ebola virus.

I've read up on what was going on at that private hospital, and they were fucking up bigtime. They were not following any sort of proper quarantine or suiting up for treating him or cleaning him up.

Ebola makes people projectile vomit and have explosive diarrhea. In short, a medical mess. The way to contain it is to bubble the patient and anyone entering has to be protected from contact with those fluids. They were walking in with their own shoes, no covers, just goggles, gloves and masks. Into that mess. The report I saw said the waste was piled to the ceiling in that same room, not transported out and incinerated.

The CDC saying protocols have been breached is pretty much spot on.

I'm reading now that a second healthcare worker in Dallas is infected. Maybe they will take proper precaution with these two. I hope so.

ethics and jimeez like this.
  12. Copzilla

13. Copzilla

Oh, and what I've read is that in terms of infectious diseases, HIV and Hepatitis are r=4, and ebola is r=1.7. Looks like Duncan exceeded his quota.

14. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

15. Copzilla

CNN now reporting that the two healthcare workers who came down with Ebola worked with Duncan before he was diagnosed, as in the first contact when they blew him off and sent him home. So yeah... I'd say some protocols were breached.

16. ethics

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
  17. Sierra Mike

Yeah, it's not an aerosol like some other viruses or other biological (like anthrax), but if someone were to generate enough substance to make a positive fluidic transfer--like semen, which no one talks about, though it's a great delivery system for Ebola--then yeah, in a certain specific circumstances, I guess it could be considered "airborne."

Let's just hope Peter North doesn't get it.

Copzilla and ethics like this.
  18. Copzilla

I'm not always a Shepard Smith fan, but it's ABOUT STINKING TIME someone from the media stepped up and told people to get a freaking grip.

ethics and jimeez like this.
  19. Sierra Mike

Wow, that was awesome. But...since there's no Ebola epidemic, I guess I have to stay here at work.

20. ethics