1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ebola in North America?

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by Biker, Aug 1, 2014.

1. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Never happen? It may happen sooner than we think.

I have BIG issues with this. It's bad enough we have labs all over the world screwing up and losing vials of dangerous bugs, but the CDC is the LAST agency I'd trust to keep things safe. And to take these two individuals to the 39th largest city in the US to treat something that there is no guarantee of curing in the hopes they caught them early enough to nurse them through? No. No. No. No.

Are they going to quarantine the aircrew, too? How about the ground crew at the airport?

Guess where ground zero is going to be when this shit hits the fan?

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Augh, dude, not you too.

You know how I've ranted on the H1N5, which of course, could still happen, but Ebola is no FLU not even close.
    The only way it's worse than FLU is that it has a pretty high mortality rate, which is a BAD thing for the virus. If you kill off the host before it can replicate, it's not very efficient.

Now let's go back to the shit basket of humanity that is Africa. Their beliefs, their culture, their traditions is so 16th century that THAT is the biggest vehicle for this virus to replicate, to jump from host to host. Mainly, it's their disgusting burial traditions in which the corpses bodily fluids are MANY times splashed in to the eyes and mouths or hands that eventually get in to the people's bodily fluids. Ebola also gets in through medical technicians whom are also exposed to bodily fluids in the similar fashion -- medical folk are NOT trusted in Africa countries which are affected. As for bodily fluid, it's fluids like blood, feces, vomit.

Jump over to the US. Even IF there's an Ebola patient walking around the whole thing can be contained fairly fast. Firstly, Ebola is not contagious during its incubation period, unlike cold, FLU, and many other viruses. This means that the only time it IS contagious is when the person is visible very sick.

I mean, yeah it's a deadly fucked up inefficient virus that DOES kill, but to get overly upset about the risk of this here? I am actually pissed off that our media has been in a frenzy with fear mongering.

Copzilla and ShinyTop like this.
  3. ethics

4. Copzilla

Copzilla dangerous animal Staff Member

Right, and the reason it can be contained fairly easily is that even if you've had contact with someone who had ebola, it's rather unlikely YOU have it, especially with the US standards of living and hygiene. I mean, unless you're swapping spit with the person or they shit all over you, then chances are excellent that you do not have it, even if they share y0ur cubicle space.

I mean, everyone's all freaking out about it because it has been so deadly in Africa, but we do things so much differently here.

ethics likes this.
  5. ethics

The press and the media are out of control, folks. It will cause massive panic and people dying for the "freedom of press" to get a looksie.

6. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

And what a great diversion from the real issues with mid-term elections about 1 month away!

ethics likes this.
  7. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

If the health departments in Texas are any indication, we're in trouble.

8. Copzilla

I'm in a travel forum on Facebook, Galveston Carnival Cruisers. One really stupid bitch... well, I will let you all read. The coup de grace...

ebola.jpg
    ebola2.jpg
    ebola3.jpg

Uh oh, enter ALL CAPS anger...

ebola4.jpg

And now links to unknown and dubious sources.

ebola5.jpg

jimeez likes this.
  9. Copzilla

The finale... Confronted with her own idiocy...

ebola6.jpg

jimeez likes this.
  10. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

Nothing like trying to reason with the unreasonable.

11. ethics

12. ethics

And then this wasn't a joke:

lBUAFWs.jpg

13. rockotman

rockotman Blown on the steel breeze

Sort of like arguing politics...

14. Piobaireachd

Piobaireachd Full Member

15. ethics

16. SixofNine

SixofNine Jedi Sage Staff Member

I got teh ebola.

17. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

ethics likes this.
  18. Andy

Andy ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

If you like your ebola, you can keep your ebola.

ethics likes this.
  19. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

I figured out how to take care of it from the immigrant side.

Anyone flying into the US from a country with Ebola has to land in Vegas first, before continuing on. That'll take care of it.

Because what happens in Vegas.....

ethics likes this.
  20. Copzilla

I blame the sequester for teh ebola.