1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Earliest Evidence of Jesus

Discussion in 'Issues Around the World' started by ethics, Oct 21, 2002.

1. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

Drum Roll please!!!

In inscription in stone, found in or near Jerusalem and written in a language and script of 2,000 years ago, bears the words "James, son of Joseph, brother of Jesus."

MORE:

If the inscription is authentic and indeed refers to Jesus of Nazareth, it would be the earliest known documentation of Jesus outside the Bible. The magazine, which announced the find today, is promoting it as "the first-ever archaeological discovery to corroborate biblical references to Jesus."

Full NY Times Story

I can't even begin to imagine how one goes about proving this.

Outside of carbon dating it and even being precise to about few years, you still had many people with names of Jesus. How does one prove that this was THE Jesus?

2. jamming

jamming Banned

Sorry, you want the James down the street.

3. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

Proof? You want PROOF?! Um, hello, the Bible says Jesus was your savior, so you better believe it! Otherwise, you can go to Hell!

Seriously, though...you're right. How does this prove that it is in reference to THE Jesus? Unless somebody has a time machine, we will never know. Who's to say some crazy person didn't just put it there? I have an aunt who is diagnosed with manic depression, and she used to have wonderful fits of delusion. She accused her son of being Judas! :)

4. ethics

Yep, remember how much politics and emotion the Shroud of Turin brought forth?

5. mikeky

mikeky Member

As the article said, there can't be definitive proof since carbon dating can't be used, so we'll never know for sure. But the unique combination of names (probably less than 20 of this particular combination would have been expected around that time) and the unusual inclusion of the brother's name certainly make the find interesting. I'm sure most will either discount it or accept it based on the particulars of their faith.

6. Well said. Faith will not be shaken whether they prove or disprove anything.

This is merely more funding for the archeologists. :)

7. Sunriser13

Sunriser13 Knee Deep in Paradise

Most intelligent people do not deny the probable existence of Jesus, and that at the very least he was a very respected man. What some people <i>do</i> have doubts about is that he was the son of God, from a virgin birth. Many have been revered as leaders and prophets. It is the mysticism that feeds the disbelief.

Whether this is indeed "the" Jesus or not, it is an intriguing find.

8. RRedline

RRedline Veteran MMember

I can remember when I was around 8 years old, my family forced me to go to Sunday School(we called it Catechism). I was shown a very tiny piece of wood which was encased in a glass box, and I was told that it was part of the actual cross that Jesus died on. I believed it. :(

Has anyone heard of such a thing? Do Catholics claim to own pieces of the actual cross that Jesus died on? How could anyone possibly claim to own such a thing?

9. ethics

Bah! That's nothing.

When I was 8 years old I became "Octobronok" (Youth program for young Commies) and was shown a clip of Lenin where they showed him AS God, and I believed it :(.

Beat that!

10. ethics

Someone give Zaphod Beeblebrox a cookie. The inscription on a funereal box purported to belong to Jesus's brother was <a href="http://www.ajc.com/news/content/news/0603/18jinscription.html">declared fake</a> by Israel's Antiquities Authority.

11. melpomene

melpomene Banned

Yeppers.

I was given a statue of Jesus about 4 feet tall at my communion, you plugged it in to the socket and his heart flashed all night. I have had to kiss some many sacred relics; of the cross, the shroud of turin (which of course is dumb, or else there wouldnt be a shroud now :huh: ), Mary, John the Baptist :huh: its amazing. Its a weird Catholic thang.