1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dumping Google

Discussion in 'Bits & Bytes' started by ethics, Nov 23, 2011.

1. tke711

tke711 Oink Oink Staff Member

Yet another reason to dump Google: http://www.businessinsider.com/google-tracking-apple-users-2012-2

2. ethics

ethics Pomp-Dumpster Staff Member

3. Biker

Biker Administrator Staff Member

Problem is, it's not just Google that does this. And I'd wager there are more than just the 3 companies that were caught by the study.

Another reason why I never get one of those special store cards, give my phone number, or provide any identifying information when I purchase something.

4. tke711

Google wasn't just bypassing Safari. Looks like they were bypassing IE privacy settings as well: http://news.cnet.com/8301-1009_3-57381371-83/microsoft-google-bypassed-ie-privacy-settings-too/?part=rss&subj=news&tag=2547-1_3-0-20

5. ethics

They are out of control.

6. Allene

Allene Registered User

If they keep shooting themselves in the foot often enough, they just may self destruct. I don't miss Google.

7. tke711

Obviously, "don't be evil" is just a marketing slogan to them. Not a mission statement.

8. ethics

9. Allene

Allene Registered User

Done, thanks!

10. cmhbob

cmhbob Did...did I do that? Staff Member

Whadya know. Mine was never on.

11. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

12. ethics

Been using Bing, does a fine job.

13. Allene

Allene Registered User

I agree. I may have mentioned that elsewhere in this thread. It's all I use now, and I'm finding the same things I found on Google.

14. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

What's Bing's stance/policy on privacy and tracking?

How is this different than anything Google is doing?

15. ethics

There's no unification with other things MS. Basically, I could care less if I am searching for "pink thong" from some ip. There's no name or anything attached to that search -- unlike Google.

16. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

There is no name associated with Google if you're l

17. jimeez

jimeez Thread Killer

There is no name associated with Google if you're logged out, no?

18. ethics

Each Google service places the dreaded cookies and they use THAT with the unification.

19. Greg

Greg Full Member

I wouldn't completely trust logging out of Google as making yourself safe. At least not verifying that there are no Google cookies left in your browser. I've set my browser to make all Google cookies session cookies, so they disappear when I close my browser.

20. Greg

Greg Full Member

I cleared my Google cookies then logged into Google Webmaster Tools, counted 11 cookies. Then I logged out and there were still 5 cookies left. Four of them were such long encrypted-looking strings that practically anything could be in there. (One of them was just for language = "en")